Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

I have a new man in my life I have been dating for about 6…

Jen, I have a new man...
Jen,
I have a new man in my life I have been dating for about 6 weeks. We see each other twice a week.
He deeply cares for me and loves me. I also have love for him. I struggle with his immaturity.
Sometimes he can have sarcastic humor, crude behavior and he is a loud person, occasionally blaming, and immature comments. Other times, when he massages me, he gets upset when something hurts me and I say "Owe".... or shhh (when I hurt) during intimacy as he is concentrating on trying to keep it going as he has trouble with that. He isn't patient sometimes.
The upside of him is that he puts a lot of thought and time in spending time together. We laugh a lot and genuinely look forward to being with each other. We have deep and meaningful conversations as he is very intelligent. He cares about me and listens carefully to my problems and daily life and helps me solve them. He really does love me and we do a lot of cooking together.
When he hurts me, he is genuinely remorseful and tries hard to make me happy.
I am conflicted. Dee
1/13/2018
TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Hi Dee, as we know every relationship is going to come with some pros and some cons. I hear all that you are saying about the insensitivity and possibly a bit of self-involvement on his part at times. I would suggest that when you are away from that exact situation that you sit and talk with him about your feelings when he behaves in the manner in which you describe. He might be able to hear it when you are speaking from a place of love and empathy and away from the actual situation. How does that feel for you?
TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC