Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

I married into a bunch of nieces and nephews on my husband's…

Hello, I married into...

Hello, I married into a bunch of nieces and nephews on my husband's side. Some of the nieces are my age or older, so it is not as if we have had a history together. They were already adults when we met. My husband isn't really close to his family (he was an "oops" baby and is almost a decade younger than the youngest of his other six siblings). His family didn't approve of him, and he never used to even get invited to family events until after we got married. His dad died of cirrhosis of the liver while we were dating. We only usually see said nieces at a couple family events each year. I am currently in graduate nursing school full-time, and I work night shift full-time in a hospital. I've tried explaining my schedule to them before, but I find unless you have worked nights, you don't really get it. I *have* to sleep during the day, or I literally can't sleep at all. I've went 24-30 hours without sleep to attend family events (while, again, being a full time graduate student), and I can't even explain the number of passive-aggressive remarks I get when I practically torture myself (historically speaking; I've started to withdrawal from his family events) to go to events, as I am required to work a certain number of holiday hours. His niece is getting married this weekend. I work until 7:30 a.m. the day of the wedding (tonight through Saturday morning), and I also work Sunday night to Monday. Severe winter weather is predicted tonight. I will have to go without sleep for a long amount of time, travel for the wedding in possibly dangerous conditions (route in perfect weather in 2 hours one way), and we won't be able to spend the night because I work tomorrow. I like the niece, but we aren't super close and I can't imagine we ever would be. My husband doesn't care if I don't go. It's mostly my own guilt - I have five younger siblings who do not have kids yet, and I can't imagine missing their kids' events. However, I don't have that kind of relationship with my in-laws. Am I a terrible human being if I don't go?

Expert's Assistant: The Etiquette Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else the Etiquette Expert should be aware of?

This niece made a comment about how she couldn't imagine if all of her aunts and uncles couldn't make it to her wedding. She's free to have her wedding whenever she wants, obviously, but January is notorious for bad weather in Northern Ohio. The irony in her statement is my husband didn't have any aunts and uncles at our wedding, and many of my aunts and uncles not only didn't attend, but outright protested our wedding because we were married outside of the Catholic church. I think the protesting of our wedding what bothered me; we didn't care at all about my husband's aunts and uncles, as he doesn't have a relationship with them. We didn't even really realize he didn't have aunts and uncles there until we were evaluating his niece's remarks

I should add that I harbor no animosity towards my niece; I think she's a good person. It's just such terrible timing. I'd like to be able to sleep, not drive in a blizzard, and be able to work on my school work. I just personally don't feel close enough to my husband's family... which makes me strongly consider not going, so that I can actually sleep, be safe, and do what I need to do to pass my very expensive and challenging courses.
1/12/2018
VA-NP
VA-NP, Nurse (RN)

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you today.

Thank you

Hi there,

I remember working on my nursing MS and PhD and then DNP while also doing hospital shifts, so I can understand your situation. I think you're right in saying that no one understands night shift unless they have been there.

My question is "why are you beating yourself up over this?"

Send the niece whatever gift you were going to send anyway along with your best wishes for her future happiness. You should stay home and sleep whatever hours you can manage and study. Please don't feel guilty about it. If it were your husband's sister, I might say try to go, but for a niece that isn't even close, it isn't worth the hassle.

Weddings aren't mandatory for anyone, and you shouldn't feel guilty about not going. Just make nice with the family when you see them and perhaps express your regret that you were unable to make it due to work scheduling. It should not be a problem for anyone unless they are just being super-critical. If that's the case, nothing you do would please them anyway. Your not being there isn't a comment about the bride, but just a fact of life. You should feel no more guilt than if you were a patient at your hospital and unable to attend.

VA-NP
VA-NP, Nurse (RN)
VA-NP
VA-NP
VA-NP, Nurse (RN)