Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

I have no mother in law experience for various reasons and…

I have no mother in...
I have no mother in law experience for various reasons and am in my mid 50s. Do I need help?
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/7/2018
clairep80

Thank you for contacting Just Answer

Do you have the right category?

I don't know.

What do you actually wish to know?

I think my past relationships with no actual mother in law around for various reasons is affecting the way I try and build more present and future relationships and think that could be the reason I find building relationships difficult because there is no common experience of mother in laws and just wondered if I was wrong please?

i shall opt out and transfer you to the personal relationships catagory

John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)

I am so sorry it has taken so long for anyone to respond to you. I want to help you. Can you be more specific in your question please? I am having difficulty understanding what you are asking. Are you saying you are having difficulty being a mother-in-law because you have never been around a mother-in-law? Any details could be helpful.

I have never had a mother in law. I don't know how to relate to one therefore.
This is probably going to sound like a copout, but I don’t think there is a set way. It’s just like any other relationship. It depends on your and her personalities. If you think you can drum up the courage and such, I think you set up a dinner date and basically have a POW wow. Remember to voice your expectations as well. She has a vested interest in her child, but her child has chosen you. It behooves you to get among with her, but she needs to respect your boundaries, as you do hers. Does that make sense?
Along”

I​ hope I was helpful. If so, please take time right now and give me a five star rating so I can receive crfedit for my response.

John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)