Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

My wife's relationship with her step-niece has be bothering…

Customer Question
My wife's relationship with her...
My wife's relationship with her step-niece has be bothering me for a long time. When she would go visit her parents who lived 2 hours away her niece would always come over to spend the weekend with her. My wife never told me she was seeing her just about every time she visited with her parents. I only found out about it from my kids and after asking specifically how often her niece came over which I thought was very unusual. My two teenage sons told me in passing they noticed their mom acted "different" whenever her step-niece was with them at their grandparents. They are in constant communication with each other everyday (texting and calls) when they're not together. When my step-niece comes to visit us (she usually stays for a week) my wife will spend the vast majority of time with her and my wife's behavior towards me changes. She will ignore me for the most part but once in a while she'll come find me (I'm usually in another part of the house) and act overly affectionate towards me (wants me to hug and/or kiss her). I wouldn't normally have a problem with this but I feel that my wife is only being affectionate towards me because she is trying to manipulate me into not being upset with her behavior while her step-niece is visiting.Overall, I wouldn't have a problem with my wife having a close relationship with another woman. However, her step-niece is bisexual (with a stronger attraction to women) and currently in an unhappy relationship with the boyfriend she lives with. I've talked to my wife several times about how I find the changes in her behavior when she is around her step-niece and the constant communication they have everyday to be disturbing. My wife told me that she needs to have relationships with women to be happy. That led to me asking if she had any sexual feelings towards women which my wife strongly denied. But I can't help to be concerned about the relationship she has with her step-niece. I believe they are having an emotional affair and that could eventually lead to something physical. I feel my wife is trying to reassure me to not be concerned about their relationship and to accept it even at the cost of our own.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Relationship
1/3/2018
Counselor: DrJackiePhD, Doctor replied 3 months ago
DrJackiePhD
DrJackiePhD, Doctor
Hi, I am Dr. Jackie, a relationship expert and professor and therapist. I think I can address your concerns. Do you prefer to chat in real time or perhaps a phone or Skype call or just a response on here?
Hello, your response on the website would be fine.
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
DrJackiePhD
DrJackiePhD
DrJackiePhD, Doctor