Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

Not sure if this falls into the right, "Relationship"

Customer Question
Not sure if this falls...
Not sure if this falls into the right, "Relationship" category but here goes. I have been working for my current company for almost 6 years now. A woman that I now consider a friend actually played a key role in me getting hired. I'm now the #2 person in leadership of this small company. Unfortunately, she and the owner had a falling out and she was terminated. We have maintained a very good friendship outside of work. She and her husband were due to travel with my wife and I in a few months when we renew our vows. The problem is she has filed a lawsuit against the company. First an EEOC complaint which was dismissed. Now a suit claiming discrimination. I'm a key person in the leadership of the company. My wife and I changed our travel arrangements, but have not shared this with her. My question is how do I handle this? I feel like I'm caught in the middle. If I actively socialize with her, I'm at odds with my employer. If I cut ties with her. I lose a friend.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Relationship
12/29/2017
Counselor: Rev.Dr. August Abbott, Clergy replied 6 months ago
Rev.Dr. August Abbott

Is your employer specifically asking you to avoid her or end the friendship?

When you mention changing your travel plans, does this mean you've already excluded this woman and just haven't told her yet?

Not in so many words. But while I love her like a sister, I don't agree with her filing suit.We booked our vacation after the EEOC claim was dismissed so I thought things were moving forward. So when I found out about the lawsuit and with me managing the staff tasked with providing the documents for the case, I'm struggling with trying to maintain a regular relationship with all the mud slinging back and forth. We've since changed our plans and I'm trying to figure out how to break this to her. We're still 4 months out, so she still has plenty of options.
Any suggestions?
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.