Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

My adult daughter hasn't spoken to me in 8 years because I…

Customer Question
My adult daughter hasn't...

My adult daughter hasn't spoken to me in 8 years because I divorced her Father. It was complicated. Her Father had been embezzling and sued 5 times, put us in financial ruin and I had an affair. I married the man I had an affair with. Both my children have taken their Dad's side and my son does speak to me but will have nothing to do with my new husband. I have been re-married now for 5 years. My daughter has gotten married and had a baby this year. Do I buy for them for Christmas? Every year I send a check but it never gets cashed. But now there is a Grandbaby.. not sure what to do. I know where they live and have tried numerous times to get her to come to the door but she will not. I am so sad over all this. It is heartbreaking.

Expert's Assistant: I should have chatted with the Psychologist on a daily basis with my two kids. And maybe about my brothers, too. You are so doing the right thing getting in touch with one of them. Is there anything else important you think the Psychologist should know?

Not really... My new husband has three adult kids and they love me... My life would be complete if my children would just be part of my life.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Relationship
12/20/2017
Counselor: Mary Baker, Consultant replied 7 months ago
Mary Baker
Mary Baker, Consultant

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'd like to help you with this problem.

It is really heart-breaking when your own children turn away from you. Financial irresponsibility on the part of a spouse can cause so much pain and heartbreak in a relationship--plus shame, fear, guilt and even panic attacks for the innocent spouse. Many people assume that when someone divorces for "money reasons" that they are just being materialistic and callous. Your children may have been coached by your ex to see you that way.

Also, you haven't mentioned if there was a lot of open recrimination during the divorce. Children do not respond well to that and will tend to side with the parent who is best at playing the victim.

Patience and persistence are definitely key, and it sounds as though you are committed to both. Young people often have an idealized view of the world and won't understand your pain, or what you've been through, until they experience a few hard knocks themselves.

Meanwhile, here are a few things you can do:

1. Instead of sending checks, which are rather impersonal, send a gift card for a popular baby outlet.
  2. Also start sending small baby gifts addressed directly to your grandchild(ren).
  3. Try to communicate with your ex and ask him to put in a good word for you. Bury your pride along with the proverbial hatchet if you have to. Be persistent. If he refuses to cooperate then HE will have to explain that to your kids. But don't complain if things don't go your way, and do not discuss your attempts with your kids, ever. Again, just be patient and persistent. If he is arrogant or bitter toward you, let him be that way. Turn up the charm and try again.
  4. Accept that your children may never accept your current husband. Odds are good, though, that with time and experience of their own, they probably will.
  5. Be sure you have a vibrant, happy Facebook page with a lot of friends. Be accessible on Facebook and maybe one other medium, like Snapchat. Learn to take selfies. Kids (of any age, even adult) are possessive of their parents, and if they see you having fun with other people, including your stepkids, they'll want to stake a claim. Make sure your social media pages are clean (not wallpapered with annoying games or memes), polished and professional.
  6. When you do speak with your son, listen carefully to him, ask about the details of his life, be responsive and helpful--but also respect his privacy and boundaries. Lots of praise and compliments always help too!
  7. Be happy and active. Expand your boundaries, travel, try new things, volunteer. Having lots of things to report about when you talk to your son will make you seem less like a victim and will be irresistibly attractive to your kids.

Best of luck!

This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.