Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

My boyfriend and I have been dating for about 10 months and…

Customer Question
My boyfriend and I...

My boyfriend and I have been dating for about 10 months and just this month, he told me he has Schizophrenia. Since then, he has totally changed. He said he wanted to split because I deserve better and he doesn't want to cope in a healthy way. I love this man and want to stand by him, especially with his diagnosis. Is it safe or ever the right thing to stay with him if he is choosing to cope badly and shut down? Ive offered therapy option in there because I gave had PTSD and grief issues from my parents dying in my early childhood. Is there any advice to give us on how to cope and function healthily as a couple??

Expert's Assistant: The Psychologist will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Psychologist should know?

I think it is safe to say he now ignores me, it tears me up emotionally about his behavior. He works in my building cleaning and cannot ever come to see me. I just don't know... is he really trying to protect me or is he just want an easy at out I don't know, guess I won't know that really. I just need to know for me what do I do t9 have some peace?!? ūüíĒ I break down every single day. I miss my best friend. ūüė≠

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Relationship
I just wish I would have known about his illness in the beginning, but instead I met those sweet courageous and kind hearted man who I want to support and defend. He has been so hurt from other women and I respect him. I want to love him through this. But what do I do? Do I give him like 6 weeks to get this sorted??
Also, he is now easily lying to me. He doesn't keep his word, or even remember us talking. Is it ever really possible to have a healthy relationship with this serious of a mental illness. I suffer from ptsd so i understand triggers and trauma well. I can't choose it, but do i stay with him despite his chronic lying, his lack of awareness for my breaking heart, and his anger outbursts for me not understanding his isolation??He does choose healthy coping skills like working out at the gym, but will easily ditch me for the gym anyway.I really just want this rollercoaster to stop. I feel like it is headed in the direction of we go to couples therapy or I cannot stay. Because of my trauma from childhood sexual abuse, I understand you cannot help something that doesn't want help, but I choose to use healthy coping skills, reach out when I need it and keep busy. I have benefited from DBT in the past.
11/28/2017
Counselor: Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD) replied 9 months ago
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD)
Hi, and thank you for choosing Justanswer about your concern. I’m Dr Ted Manos M.D., and I’ve counseled many women in my gyn practice. I can respond shortly.
The bottom line is his desire to end the relationship. You can think of the situation and think about what you can do. If he indeed is schizophrenic then he can’t control his thoughts completely. I believe you can get on with your life and years from now it will be a story. His choice is the key. Less regret in the long run for you. You should also ask your counselor how to handle the situation.
your advice is to see a therapist after I just paid for this service? This is so not helpful at all.
Then give me less than 3 stars as I’m not helpful. You were rejected by your boy friend and I suggested talking to a professional about your reaction and choices going on with your life.
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.