Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

Hope all is well. I want to share with you that ... The guy…

Hi Jen , Hope all is...
Hi Jen ,
Hope all is well. I want to share with you that ... The guy who I have declined a date with wrote me back two weeks later and asked me why I declined his offer to go to dinner. He was my boyfriend at age 18 and he didn't treat me well. I told him that we didn't have a good relationship and he prematurely talked about sex. He said he didn't mean to offend me and was just sharing what I liked when we were dating. He did apologize for his behavior back then. He said he is an adult now and doesn't want to meet someone new, doesn't date much. I reminded him that we are likely different people than we were 30 plus years, so how could he know me at all. He then started asking me a lot of questions about myself and we texted for about an hour and in the end I agreed to meet him for lunch on Saturday (in a restaurant).
I feel as though I am reaching in a garbage can looking for gold. He is my past, and what we had wasn't good and I got hurt. How much different can he really be ? Why did I agree ? Feeling some regret. At first I said why not, than no thanks... and now okay to meeting for lunch. So I can't go back on my word again, as I would look stupid. Plus he is heavy and doesn't look like he takes care of himself as best as he could, and he is a truck driver , not that it matters. He is very smart, I remember, but I am having a lot of mixed feelings about it and realize I would look stupid if I say yes and than no one more time. Feeling like a desperate sucker. That may sound funny to you.
Could he have actually changed, and if so how much? Would one meeting actually hurt ?
...and why am I having such mixed feelings ? He hurt me a lot when we were kids.
He also said that he wanted to leave the past behind and start fresh.
I am about to give up on dating
11/23/2017
TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Happy Thanksgiving. Well, you agreed to lunch so it's not big deal to go and sit for a lunch and feel things out and see how you feel talking to him. He may have matured and maybe not but you can assess that in the date. You are not a desperate sucker. See the lunch as information gathering and go from there. How does that feel?
TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
It makes sense logically yet I still feel nervous. Probably due to my past experiences. I will go as information gathering and yes.... Just because I put myself out there doesn't make me DESPERATE ... thanks for that . Plus I have had lots of negative experiences dating...
J e n ...
HAPPY THANKS GIVING TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY :):):)
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.