Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

What's the fastest, healthiest way to process through grief…

What's the fastest, healthiest way...
What's the fastest, healthiest way to process through grief during an ongoing, dragged out divorce? What's the best way to keep esteem high if the other party is highly negative, miserable, depressed, etc., yet they refused to get any help during the marriage, treated you badly, and left you? Please don't say "best way over a man is under another one." I hear that A LOT and am not ready to date in the midst of a divorce.
11/17/2017
John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)
Hello! My name is John. Please give me a moment to cobtemplglue question.
Your not going to hear that from me. I would say mostly the opposite. You don’t need to see another man until you are totally over this one. You are right in calling this grieving because that is what happens when you divorce. You grieve the loss. You really shouldn’t rush grieving. It takes time. To get it done, go ahead and give yourself permission to mourn. Go ahead and cry about the difficult times, but give yourself permission to celebrate the good times.
Cherish the memories. Even visit the places you visited together. Don’t fight it. Honestly, don’t rush it either. The less pressure you put on your self the easier it will come.
Does that make sense?
I hope I was a help to you. Will you do me a favor and give me a five star rating for my answer so I can be paid for it. If you have any comments or questions please post them here. I want to help you.Thank you!
What do you think about EMDR for it? Used it once in my 20s to get over a guy and rarely thought of him after that. Is it known therapy for divorcing couples?
It is known for grief and trauma. I seriously believe it’s worth a try.
John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)
Will do. THANK YOU! You give the best advice.