Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

Relationship

My 26 years old son is a single father,he would like to know…

Customer Question
My 26 years old...

My 26 years old son is a single father,he would like to know more about spending time with his four month old baby.the mother is 28 ,and she never introduced my son to her family.she never told my son that she was expacting the baby even when she was in good friend term as friends.she lives with her parents and their cultures ara differents to our family .her father is pushing for marriage in other way he would never let my son to visit his baby,she came with the baby.once in two months only for 1 hour and once she let my son to see his baby in a cafe My son wants to bond with his son ,but is been to difficult.

Expert's Assistant: The Psychologist will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Psychologist should know?

How can we deal with someone that is only thinking in his family reputation and does not see how important is the father ans son to create a good relatinship

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Relationship
10/20/2017
Counselor: CounselorJules, Counselor replied 4 months ago
CounselorJules
CounselorJules, Counselor

Hi,I'm Jules, a LPC. I am reviewing your question now. Please bear with me and I will be with you as soon as possible.

This is a really difficult situation for everyone involved. It sounds like the young woman really struggles with her autonomy due possibly because of family pressure. I wonder if you can find a way to create a sense of empathy with the young woman's father? Possibly as a mutual role as a grandparent? It may be a situation where you have to process with him the desires of your own to be involved and if he can see a genuine love from you, it may open the possibilities of him allowing his daughter to act as an adult and make a decision to allow the father into this baby's life. I am curious if the young woman's father is resentful that his daughter became pregnant outside of wedlock, despite her being 28 years old, and this is part of the resistance? Maybe in the father's eyes it brought shame onto the family, and rather than allowing his daughter to take responsibility as a parent, herself, he is acting in a controlling and manipulative manner, out of his own hurt or disappointment?

I just wanted to check in on you and ask how I can further assist you?
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
CounselorJules
CounselorJules
CounselorJules, Counselor