Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

I am very upset with my boyfriend. He puts on a show of

being sweet and helpful but...
I am very upset with my boyfriend. He puts on a show of being sweet and helpful but we don’t communicate. Whenever I tell him something is that is bothering me he gets defensive and irrational.
10/14/2017
TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC

I am sorry to hear of these issues. It can be difficult to deal with this....I wonder how you are communicating your needs to him around this. It may be helpful to talk when things aren't in the heat of the moment and you are both feeling calm around one another and then you can lovingly let him know how you feel and what you hope for him in the way of communication. If he feels loved and not attacked (and I am not suggesting you attacked him) then it is quite possible he can feel more open to hearing from you. So try it when things feel calm and come from a place of love and letting him know how you want to grow and go deeper in your conenction.

TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
We managed to connect this weekend. We even had intimate relations. I just needed to relax and take my mind off work and dedicate my time to him. We are close now again. But we can get even closer. But now I don’t feel like if I were with a stranger living on different islands. I will keep you informed if I need more guidance. Thank you so much for your help.
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.