Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

Relationship

I am 30 years old male. I am gay. I got to know a person on

instagram last thursday who is...
I am 30 years old male. I am gay. I got to know a person on instagram last thursday who is gay and 30 years old as well. We both were so excited and comfortable talking to each other. I felt so happy that i feel so connected to him. He was super nice and wanted to talk to me on phone and so excited to meet me up. We exchanged pictures and he is really handsome. I even sent him my picture and he was like omg u r handsome too. We kept on talking and he sends me emojis of heart and kiss. He tells me that i am the most kind hearted person he ever met. We decided to meet on saturday night. I went to his place then we went for dinner then back to his place. I held his hand in the car, we went to his place talked and i kissed him on the cheek and he french kissed me and held me so tight. Sunday he got busy with work until yesterday. I got so irritated that he talks little to me. He swore to god that he havent spoken to his parents because he was busy. I told him what time can I see you since he already travelled this morning. He said he cannot today because he needs to go to the barber and said he will be back Sunday night and monday we meet up. I opened up and told him that I like him but i am scared that I get rejected. He told me that he has recently ended a relationship of 6 years since april and he isnt emotionally stable to start another relationship. I really want him in my life, he is fun to be with, the way he talks, his interests, the way he looks and the warmth of his feelings. I am not an angel but I consider myself as a nice person, loving, and caring. What shall I do since I feel his interest in me is gone yet he still talks and wants to meet up? I will attach what he wrote to me yesterday.
Answered in 1 day by:
9/23/2017
Therapist Leslie
Therapist Leslie, Counselor

Good evening, Abdulla, and thank you so much for your message. I realize it's difficult to reach out. Please know I honor your courage.

My name is ***** ***** I am a psychotherapist in the Metro Boston area of the United States.

Ohhhh sweet soul, I am so sorry. I've been in your place and know how difficult it is. You have finally met someone you completely adore and have a magical evening together, only to discover that the next interaction feels a bit cold and removed. Thankfully this man is truly honest. He has been open in letting you know that he is suffering--perhaps still struggling through feelings or events with his last partner. Perhaps his heart is still with his previous partner. Perhaps he made horrible mistakes in the previous relationship and swore to himself to never let it happen again. Perhaps he is horribly depressed from the break-up and is in intensive psychotherapy. Whatever the reason....he is not emotionally available and, no doubt, it's pretty darn painful.

It sounds like he truly likes who you are. He loves your open heart, your willingness to let yourself fall in love and your openness and wants to keep you in his world. The real question is, though, are you willing and/or able to have him in yours? Is it too difficult to be simply friends at this time? Or, are you angry that he has suddenly backed up a bit and feeling rejected?

Please know that if he truly did not like you he would have easily walked away--never to be heard from again. So you must trust him when he says he is unavailable emotionally at this time.....to insist on anything else or try to force something more would sadly only push him away.

I know this isn't exactly what you want to hear but please know this is not because you aren't lovely, beautiful and wonderful in every way....this is because he is currently broken.

Have I answered your question? Is there anything else I can do to assist you further? I want to ensure you are pleased with my service. I also gently request you provide a star rating for me. Of course, we can continue to talk after the rating is provided.

Please take good care of yourself and feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie

I asked him why did he pull away and change, he told me he prefers that we stay friends for now and he isnt ready for a relationship. I told this to one of my friends and my friend told me to stop texting him and back off. What makes me angry why was he so sweet to me before our first date and became a totally different person after it. He keeps on telling me i am the most pure person he ever met. I feel like he doesnt even want to meet me after he is back from his trip. I am sad but it seems like he doesnt care anymore.
Yesterday i tried to ask him to talk without getting angry but he got upset. He told me he doesnt want to ruin his vacation. I feel like i met a different person before our first date. Although he was so happy about everything the way we talked, the way we kissed, and all. I deleted his chat and I told myself that I will not talk to him unless he does because I feel insulted and rejected.
I am clueless on what to do with him.

Ohhhh Abdulla, I am so sorry. This is beyond difficult. I think you know exactly what to do but don't want to do it. You need to back away...please stop trying to meet with him or talk about things. He probably loved the initial attention and was caught up in it. The man you are seeing now is the true person...and sadly, it's cold and distance and unavailable. I am so sorry.

will backing away and stop texting make him miss me or re-consider getting closer?What I really do not understand why talk in a different way and be very sweet with someone then once you meet that person it is like you become a different person who is harsh and mean in all ways.

I do believe backing away will draw him closer (if he is interested in you). It sounds like he is a bit overwhelmed and is in need of some space--especially after coming out of a long term relationship.

I honestly believe the man you are seeing today is the true person and fear the person you met that first night was something not real. In other words, I think he was caught up in the moment and was putting out his best self. Sadly the true person has emerged and it's not quite as pretty.

I am sad because i was nice and i see myself as kind hearted i wouldnt miss with his heart like his ex did. It feels like being kind is perceived as weak. On our first date i took him out for dinner and i paid for, isnt this an act of kindness as well?
He tells me i am he most decent and most kind person he ever met. He says he is amazed by my honesty. Even physically he liked me, I mean there was no one single indication that he did not like me. Now he read my msgs on whatsapp and did not say a word. I am speechless towards this guy and makes me have trust issues with any upcoming relationship. I wonder why do I talk the truth while others manipulate. It hurts!

I understand your sadness. You are obviously a kind, genuine and generous person. I also understand that you don't want to be dropped into the category of his ex (who sounds horrible) and how it feels a bit insulting. The piece that is missing is that the man you went out with is hurting, in pain and needs some time. I imagine he was completely overwhelmed with happiness upon meeting you but then had to take a step back to ensure he was given the space needed to heal before re-entering another relationship.

Therapist Leslie
Therapist Leslie, Counselor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Leslie, advise me what shall I do? I have stopped texting him since yesterday. I see him coming online on whatsapp but he does not say a word. The thing if i approach him again he will see me as needy, clingy, and desperate. I really appreciate him and adore him as a person. I am willing to be his friend until he settles and decides to get involved into a relationship. What shall I do :( ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can i drop him a msg like "hello, hope u r having a great vacation"?

Hi Abdulla, oh dear, please do not. I realize it's tempting but you don't want to appear clingy and desperate. I would recommend doing this perhaps when he gets back...saying you hope he had a wonderful vacation. I believe it will be tough being his friend while he works on himself--it will require you not reaching out as often as wanted to ensure he has plenty of space.

Thank you so much for your kind rating. I am very grateful.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok sure i will not. By the way, usually whenever i post things on instagram such as live videos he doesnt even see. Today i posted a random video while driving and i saw him checking. Does this indicate anything?

I wouldn't make too much of this but I imagine you backing away has probably worked in your favor.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you mind if i keep you updated regarding this matter? Because he means to me and i do not want to lose him by doing something that i might regret

Oh yes, please do. I absolutely understand. Yes, please keep me posted.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I wish he understands that since I met him i was happy how amazing he talks, acts, walks, and fun to be with. I wish he understands that i am a loving and caring person and I do not play with people feelings or manipulate them. I wish he understands that I will not treat him anything less than he deserves. I wish he understands that he is being unfair to me by pulling back and being cold towards me. At times people do not value someone who shows them pure intentions of care. :(
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am still doing the same thing. I stopped contact completely and hoping that he talks back. Tonight he is coming back from his vacation, i hope he says something. Why would he push away someone who showed him interest and care....kills me

I know, sweet soul. I am sure he knows how wonderful you are but sadly it sounds like he needs to take care of himself at this time. Please know this isn't because you aren't wonderful enough...it's simply the place he is in.

Yes, I know it's difficult but please let him reach out next.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What if he never text or call me again? You cannot imagine the amount of videos I watched on youtube to fix this issue. I downloaded a dating software just maybe i get to know someone new. I felt disgusted that I deleted it and i kept on looking at his pictures on instagram

I don't know, Abdullah. Some part of you has to believe that if a relationship is meant to be, it will come to be. I understand you are desperately seeking answers but sadly these are not questions anyone can answer as none of us know his heart. At this point, you need to step back and see if he comes forward.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have an update in a min ill write it

Ok perfect

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
today was his first day back home. I sent him a long message telling him that maybe i wasnt good enough for him and i hope him good luck in his life and good bye. Then i went to sleep, he sent me many whatsapp messages and called twice. Then later I called him back. I told him how come do you go away for too long without messaging and without saying a word. He told me ok explain yourself. I told him that you were so sweet talking to me and after our first date you changed the way you talk. I told him that I personally like to connect with people who matter to me on daily bases. He replied saying that he changed the way he talks so i do not get the signal that he is in for a relationship. I told him so you not wanting a relationship is it because of me or the idea of being into a relationship itself. He said That he just does not want a relationship now because he has been in a relationship for six years and it ended so he is emotionally unstable. Then he told me that he at times disconnects from everyone which also his friends do not like because he has issues with family and work which stress him out. He said that we have known each other for two weeks which is not a long period of time. Then i was like we will see some day we will go out for dinner. Although his way of talking on whatsapp is still kind of dry.Do you think he might consider being in a relationship with me in the future, like is it genuinely because he has been through tough previous relationship that he is scared from repeating the same experience again or is it about not being interested in me?What made him call me instead of blocking me and forgetting about me?Thx

I imagine he reached out via phone because he knows you are a kind person and enjoyed his time with you. I imagine he's not a jerk and wanted to do the right thing.

I would listen to what he is saying though...it sounds like he really struggles with depression and perhaps this is an area he needs to really focus on at this time. I don't know if this is why his previous relationship ended but this might have been a factor. I think it would be difficult to be in a relationship with an individual who shuts everyone in their world out when feeling overwhelmed.

I'm unsure of where he is at and what his feelings are so I can't answer whether or not he's willing to be in a relationship in the future but it sounds like things were left on good terms and that will, no doubt, work in your favor.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what shall I do with him now?
I really want to be something positive in his life, saying good mornings, showing him appreciation, taking him to places for dinner or hanging out. He is a nice person but maybe his circumstances are harsh yet he does not reveal them. He still talks in a dry way. I am waiting for more outings and more interactions between us.
Do you think a good caring and loving friendship at one point can turn into love relationship?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Shall i still give him space and back off? He cannot imagine how i like him but in this same time i do not want to push him away
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What things can I do to make things flow naturally so It does not show or feel as if i am imposing or forcing love and relationship on him?

I honestly believe this will be the ultimate challenge....juggling your own personal urges of wanting to reach out while respecting his request for space. I honestly believe if you approach him with the intent of a future relationship, you will sadly drive him away. I believe having him initiate the interactions would be best--you simply responding to his calls/texts/e-mails. If a regular exchange comes to be, I think you can then move forward with a casual friendship.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I really do not understand something. When he says that he does not want a relationship for now. I even asked him that if he does not want it because it is with me, but he says that it is because he doesnt want a new commitment and he is tired of relationships. So Leslie, do you think if i let things flow naturally without forcing or having relationship intentions this can turn the friendship in the future to love?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would like to know from you, what steps can I take in order to attract him without making him feeling that i am rushing things?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Leslie what makes me keep thinking. I remember before our first date, he was talking to me on whatsapp and he was like omg there is chemistry over dose between us. I feel like i know u for very long time. He was so excited and interested. He even yesterday told me that I am handsome, well educated, and come from good family background. Then he was like for sure you will find better guys than me. Then he again was so cold on whatsapp answering with one or two words. I mean why the sudden change after the first date. Is it because he does not like me or maybe he is scared to fall in love again? �� Im confused with this person

Oh Abdulla, there is nothing you can do to attract him as he is already attracted to you both physically and emotionally. I imagine anything could happen in the future but need to caution you against trying to push something as I fear this will push him away. Please honor the space he is in and see if something materializes in the near future.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you think in spite of his cold answers and acting in a way of avoiding me, he is still attracted to me physically and emotionally?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
At times i feel his actions are not out of being not interested but more of being scared of being dragged into love and getting the same negative experience of his previous relationship repeating again.

Yes, I do believe he is still attracted to you and also agree that he is behaving in a cold/distant way so as to not getting pulled in. I imagine he is keeping his distance due to pain in the past relationship and/or issues he himself needs to work on further before moving forward with another.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hey leslie. Yesterday i asked him to meet up before he flies on thursday to egypt for work. He told me that today is a busy day. I called him a while ago but no answer. So i wished him a safe flight and good night. The way he talks is two three cold words. I really do not understand what he is up to. You know the other day he told me he was angry because he was fighting with his ex because of some old topic.
Now he will be gone for a week. I told him that once he is back i gotta see him. He replied with these two cold words "lol ok".
The thing i am not fan of dating sites, I wish he knows that me talking to him on daily basis means I want him in my life but apparently he doesnt get it. He keeps on using "i just ended a 6 years long relationship recently" phrase to justify anything he does. I wish i know what to do with him

Good evening, Abdulla.

I realize you want this relationship badly but you are clearly pushing him away. His one or two word answers show his frustration from you not respecting his boundaries. This man needs time to himself to take care of himself and heal from his 6 year relationship. Please step away or I fear he will ask you to discontinue the friendship. I realize this is not what you want to hear but he sounds frustrated and annoyed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will give him fron now on an ultimate space especially he will be traveling. Let's see where this will go
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He flew today to egypt and he will be away for a week. Do you think stopping cobtacting him which i am currently doing will result in him coming back or missing my presence?

I imagine this will absolutely help. Please give him his safe while away on business and see what happens once he returns.

My gut tells me he needs his space but your text was very casual and didn't require a response so I think this is o.k.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He answered me by ❤️ And same here....i showed this to my best friend who said tht the guy is being just nice but it is meaningless. Well I believe what ull say leslie since u r an expert. Do you think this a good sign or just him being nice? Thx

i fear his is putting very little effort into things as he is desperate for his space. I imagine he doesn't want to be mean as he thinks you are an amazing person but struggles as he needs his time alone. I would continue to back off a bit and see where things land.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I see him online on whatsapp. Active on instagram, which really makes me think why isnt he talking to me since he has the time to come online. I will back off, although deep inside I feel he is avoiding me and does not want me in his life.

I am so sorry. This is horribly painful. You need to trust your gut and walk away if this feels like the right thing. For whatever reason he is not engaging. Please protect yourself first and foremost.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Because you know if someone is playing hard to get or simply avoiding you. The way he talks and responds shows how he does not even care about what i say. I really wish that Karma gets back at him and he gets so attached to someone and that person does the same things that he is doing with me. I am sorry for myself for believing a liar who spoke like an angel but i have seen the demon inside him only once i started feeling hurt.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We got into a fight yesterday because i was extremely angry. I told him that i really appreciate him as a person and care for him. He told me it is all in my mind and that he does not want a relationship not because of me but the whole idea. I accepted that we stay only friends. But leslie he held my hands and told me he hopes things work out. Anyway, he wrote to me today morning "good morning, hope u r well today". I really do not know what does he want. It is difficult for me to block him and forget about him. There is a nice person inside of him which he is holding it back. Advise me leslie what shall I do?I attached parts of the convo i had with him
IMG_2809.PNGIMG_2809.PNGIMG_2813.PNGIMG_2813.PNGIMG_2812.PNGIMG_2812.PNGIMG_2811.PNGIMG_2811.PNGIMG_2810.PNGIMG_2810.PNG

Oh dear, I have read your exchange I fear he is being upfront and honest. He cannot be in a relationship right now and sadly feels you pressuring him as absolutely exhausting. Please remove yourself from his life as he is angry and does not want to have a partner right now. He feels you are not respecting his boundaries and is upset. Please remove yourself for your own benefit as well as he is truly upsetting you each time he has to remind you he is not interested in a relationship.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Leslie, i had a big fight with him yesterday. I found him on one of the dating sites. I mean what is he doing there? Definitely looking for someone for sex most likely.
Sorry for my language
I was horny so i told him that once you are done with work lets chat tonight. I sent him my picture and i went to shower. When i checked my phone again, he was like we are only friends and i dont want such things to happen between us. It hurt me because he kissed, touched, and hugged on that day. Now he doesnt want it?!
I told him that i will delete his pics and i want nothing to do with him. I could not sleep last night, i felt so sad, i was crying. I woke up today and I locked up myself in my room and cried. I started talking to him again. He was like he wants us to stay friends only. I poured all my heart to him but leslie he cannot open his heart and absorb the truthfulness and the honesty i talk with. I will attach some aspects of the convo. I said all what i could have said. I want him in my life and at the same time i want him more than a friend. I dont know, will he change his mind and maybe love me if he saw that I care for him too much frequently and that I am there whenever he is in need. I am not sure
IMG_2902.PNGIMG_2902.PNGIMG_2903.PNGIMG_2903.PNGIMG_2904.PNGIMG_2904.PNGIMG_2899.PNGIMG_2899.PNGIMG_2900.PNGIMG_2900.PNGIMG_2901.PNGIMG_2901.PNG
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Leslie, i cried because i know myself. I do not manipulate people feelings use them then forget about them. I wish he understands how good my heart is. At times i wish i had a harsh heart that can easily hurt people without thinking. I swore to God that i like him but he isnt believing anything from what i say.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I feel like i love him. I cant take my eyes off him, i wish he feels the same which he doesnt. I am so jealous that he might be talking to someone else or dating or touching. Help leslie. I am helpless

Ohhhhhh sweet Abdulla. I am so so sorry. You are in horrible pain over this and sadly we cannot do anything about it. He has clearly made up his mind and is moving forward. As much as it hurts, you must release him. This is only making you horribly sad and miserable and trying to reach out only makes you hurt more. Please block him for your own benefit and peace of mind. You need, sweet soul, to move forward. I am so sorry.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you think because of his previous relationship he was so hurt that he does not want any love bond in his life ?
I really hope to understand what is going in his mind and heart.
Why people push away someone who really is offering them care and love?
He confuses me as a person, at times i feel he is a harsh hearted person. At times i feel he is so hurt that he wants assured caring feeling. I know at some point i should move away, but i start dreaming of him. I recorded my voice i told him my feelings and i was crying. Why didnt he even care a bit to feel what i feel?!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I sent him messages since yesterday asking about his health since he told me he was sick. I even said good morning to him wished him a good day. I showed him my last photo shooting which was ready today. He answered me as attached in the picture. Leslie he is so rude to me and very mean. What hurts me the most how in the first days we met he was so sweet to me he showed me so much respect. Now he is treating me as if i am a slave. I want to walk away. Leslie are there such harsh people in life?! I am shocked from the way he turned to be :(

Oh dear, Abdulla, I fear he does not have much time to be in constant conversation. He sounds like he feels smothered and is overwhelmed by the number of messages you are sending. I know you hurt badly but I fear keeping in touch with him only makes things worse. Please give him some space and provide yourself some space so you can heal from his detachment.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I spoke to him yesterday, ready the conversation and let me know what u think. He said that he is annoyed by my reactions. Does this mean if i give him space he might calm down and come back or he does not want me at all? Analyze the situation please and let me know. Thanks

I believe he was very clear in his message stating he no longer wants contact. I know this isn't what you want to hear but fear he is annoyed by your contact and has no interest in a relationship in the future or a friendship. I am so sorry.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We finally fought, he told me that he doesnt want to talk to me. I said hurtful things to him, i apologized and said sorry. I wrote a letter and took a picture of it and sent him. I only wanted him to care like i did. All my anger was because he used to ignore me. I have apologized, what can I do to get him at least as a friend?
Shall i give him space and completely distance myself?
At times i wish i never met him, i am very attached that the idea of not having him in my life saddens me. I really care for him and he fought with me just because i told him that he is sexually attractive. He got angry saying that we are only friends and I shouldnt have said that. I apologized for it yet he does not want to talk to me. He was the person who initiated all this by involving me into kissing, hugging, and sweet words. Then he says that i am playing with him. I am actually not, I want him in my life and that's all. What shall I do leslie...?
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Therapist Leslie
Therapist Leslie
Therapist Leslie, Counselor