Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

Lm dating a man who is recently divorced we have been"

Customer Question
Hello lm dating a...

Hello lm dating a man who is recently divorced we have been " dating " for roughly 6 mo we are not exclusive but l want to be in an exclusive committed relationship. He has expressed mixed messages about his desire to be in a relationship. He is open about other women he has dated or dated recently. I want exclusivity but feel insensitive to make this request ...the result l suggested that we take things day by day. My question is that l am not sure if this decision will do more harm than good for my mental health ....Thank you in advance for answering my question :)

Expert's Assistant: This sounds like a can of worms I'm glad not to have to open. The Psychologist will do a great job for you. Is there anything else the Psychologist should be aware of?

No that is pretty much the just of it

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Relationship
7/29/2017
Counselor: John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC) replied 11 months ago
John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)
I am not sure about your mental health, but it is definitely not good for your relationship. You need to be honest with one another. If you want exclusivity, he needs to know that. If he isn't agreeable to that, you need to address it now or it will plague you later. Does that make sense?
Thank you for your help yes it does make perfect sense but when you become emotionally invested it is easier said then done ....a limbo status relationship is restricted and painful ...yes l agree if not addressed can become toxic unfortunately these are the circumstances of this relationship. l will admit that l am scared that the end result may not be in my favor but that is the risk of love l suppose ....sometimes l wish he would have never bothered to hit on me but oh well comes with territory when single ....at the end of the day l met a pretty cool person who adds value to my life. Thank you for your advice taking a dive into vulnerability!
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.