John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)
Experience:  25+ years helping resolve relational issues.
68372260

My boyfriend of one month of relationship just said he needs

Customer Question

My boyfriend of one month of relationship just said he needs time to work on his life before we are a couple again, what does that mean?
JA: The Psychologist will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Psychologist can help you best.
Customer: My boyfriend has been divorced 4 months before we started dating. His ex wife left him for another man after being married for 27 yrs. We did rush pretty fast in our relationship that my insecities got in the way....now he wants time and space to work out his life before we are a couple again? What does that mean? How can I keep the relationship going?
JA: This sounds like a can of worms I'm glad not to have to open. The Psychologist will do a great job for you. Is there anything else important you think the Psychologist should know?
Customer: He did tell me he still loves me and cares very deeply for me but just needs time. How much time do I have to wait?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  John-Michaels replied 2 months ago.
Honestly, he did move into the relationship rather quickly, but he made that choice. I would give him the space he asks for for a limited time, say a couple months. Take every freedom he takes though. If he dates others, you should feel free to do so as well. If after a couple months, you are still interested in other, then you can move forward. If not, you each can feel free to get on with your life. Does that make sense?