Therapist Leslie
Therapist Leslie, Counselor
Experience:  Owner and Psychotherapist at Self-Employed, Private Practice
94172775

What does it mean when a guy says "don't take this the wrong

Customer Question

What does it mean when a guy says "don't take this the wrong way but i think you're beautiful and I like being around you and I like how I feel when I'm around you.
JA: The Psychologist will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Psychologist can help you best.
Customer: I met a man where I work that I really like and I think he likes me. One of the first things he said to me after he introduced himself was don't take this the wrong way but your're beautiful. I like being around you and I like how I feel when I'm around you. We see each other every morning and we walk into the building together. He's on the 4th floor and I'm on the second floor. He's made so many comments like we're a good team, we support each other, stick with me and I'll keep you safe. since we see each other every morning he said we're like an old married couple walking in together. He calls me sweetheart and honey but hasn't asked for my phone number. I know he has two children so maybe that has something to do with it.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Psychologist should know?
Customer: No really. We make each other laugh and when one of us isn't at work on any given day, we tell each other that we missed each other.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Therapist Leslie replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon and thank you for your question. I realize it's difficult to reach out. Please know I honor your courage.

My name is ***** ***** I am a psychotherapist in the Metro Boston area.

From from you describe, this man is absolutely interested in you. He seems to be telling you this (in a million ways!) on a regular basis. I do agree that it is odd that he hasn't asked for your number or out for a date. This makes me believe perhaps he is not available in some way. Are you interested in having a relationship with him or even going on a date with him? Have you casually inquired about his living situation to ensure he isn't married or has a live in partner? Or, do you believe this is a fun, flirty encounter he looks forward to daily as an ego boost? Also, how long has this being going on....weeks? months? If it's been more than a couple of weeks and he hasn't asked for your number, I believe he most probably isn't available.

Please forgive the questions. I want to get a little bit more clarity.

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've known him for a year but the flirty encounter has been going on for about three months. He recently told me that he is no longer in a relationship that has been on and off for the last four years but this time it's over for good.

Hum....I'm imagining he's probably a bit fearful to start something else as he hasn't taken things to the next step. Are you interested? If so, perhaps suggest meeting for a drink or coffee after a work day. Do you feel comfortable doing this? You might say something like this, "Hey, I love chatting with you. Want to grab a drink tonight after work?" I'd make it very casual and see if he bites. If he doesn't, I believe it's safe to assume he is still getting over his previous long-term relationship.

Expert:  Therapist Leslie replied 3 months ago.

Good evening,

I just wanted to check in as I haven't heard from you. Is there anything else I can assist you with? Have I answered your question? Please let me know as I want to ensure you are pleased with my service.

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie