Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

I met a guy online, and we quickly exchanged our phone

Hi, So I met a guy...
So I met a guy online, and we quickly exchanged our phone numbers. Our initial conversation was very short, but we got to know each other. We then added each other on snap chat, and we continued to exchange photos back and forth. A month ago, he sent me a text asking to see me on a day, and I agreed. When that day came around, he sent me a texting hours before our date, and said he was stuck in LA and couldn't see me BUT he wanted to hang out the day after. I unfortunately couldn't and I respectfully ***** ***** that I couldn't. Last weekend he said, "I really want to see you next week." but he never even spoke to me this week! When I send photos, he compliments, and when I ask for photos back, he says he's shy. I really like this man, and admire his accomplishments, but I can't seem to understand him.
12/12/2016
TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC

It sounds to me like he may be a bit confused about what he wants...he may like you a lot and feel shy to pursue, but he came on strong at the beginning and has now pulled back a bit. I would pull back and let him reach out and really ask you out and see if he can commit to it. If he can't then I don't think there is much chance of it becoming something you desire.

Let me know your thoughts.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He didn't really come on strong in the beginning. Actually the opposite :/ he always sends me cute compliments but I don't know :/

ok let me rephrase then...he sounds to have been a bit more present at the beginning or no it's about the same?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hmm.. he's basically been the same the whole time. I'm just wondering why he makes plans, but not a definitely day. You know? And the week that he was supposed to see mbe, he never reached out to me! So weird

I worry then that he may not be desirous of going further and maybe he likes the online thing but when it comes to the actual face to face it could be hard for him. You could always be direct and ask him if he is interested in more...this way you know whether you are wasting your time or if he is just shy.

Thoughts about being direct with him?

How else can I support you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I haven't been direct with him at all

So do you feel comfortable at this point to ask him what he desires? It's okay if you aren't ready and if that is the case, just let him come to you a bit and see how it plays out.

TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC