Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

My baby is turning one in a few weeks. My partners aunties…

Hi! My baby is turning...
Hi! My baby is turning one in a few weeks. My partners aunties and uncles came to visit us at the hospital but since then nearly a whole year later they haven't asked to visit or asked us over.......in saying that neither have we except for one auntie that lives in the same suburb and she said she was busy. We are now expected to catch up at Christmas and buy them all presents but to tell you the truth it's been a year since we've seen them. I find it really strange and peculiar and its upset me no ones really made an effort......in my family my aunts and uncles had they been alive would of made lots of effort. Do you think this situation is strange or are a lot of families like that?
11/20/2016
TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC

Every family is different and while yours may have related in a more connected manner your partners family may do things differently. I would discuss this all with your partner and express how you feel about it and see if your feelings are shared. If this is just how they do things, then maybe keeping an open mind to the idea that even though there hasn't been any contact or effort, that Christmas could be a fun way to reconnect and spend time with one another. We can all get hung up on things that prevent further connection, but it doesn't have to be that way if there is an acceptance for all styles and ways of relating. May not be your style or that of your family, but it is theirs...take it all with a grain of salt and enjoy the time when you do get together.

TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC