Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

How can I find a path forward with my mom? I am 41 years…

How can I find a...
How can I find a path forward with my mom?I am 41 years old/male, married, 4 children ages 11 to 3. My mother is 60. Her live has been very turbulent and I have often been unsafe in it. She is going through her 4th divorce at present. When I was 11 years old, I was molested by a new "step brother" from her 3rd marriage. As a scared child, I reported the incident to her and was told it would be taken care of. The abuse continued immediately and for the course of over 2 years it was frequent, joined by a second "step brother" both of whom were 15 and 17 years older than me. It escalated to advanced forms of sexual abuse, giving alcohol to a minor, oral sex and such. It was happening under my mom's nose. She even dropped me off at their houses for sleep overs. I felt trapped, unsafe, and as a consequence lost all trust in her. Her 3rd husband died after 3 years of marriage and that separated our family from theirs and my nightmare was over. However, my problems didn't. My mom became angry towards me. Demanding my respect, calling me names, and hitting me. She never acknowledged the abuse or asked about it. I became silent and decided to can it. Our relationship was agitated. I decided as a 17-18 year old to ignore our past and pretend that all was well. She embraced this and almost seemed relieved. But the haunts of the past were ever present. As I became and adult, got married, and such. Her demands never stopped. She wanted us at every holiday, prime time. She was divisive with my in laws and was competitive for our time. She demanded my wife view her as an advisor and became possessive of my children. Eventually, I started getting wary and concerned again. I put some silent boundaries up without telling her and was trying to keep my family from her more. A few incidents over the years were: She confessed to my sister and I that who we thought was my sisters father (who is my real father) may not be. We were shocked. My sister conducted a DNA test and found it was true that we had been lied to for years and my father has always thought she was his daughter. Another was a time she came to my home looking to win us over against her 4th husband. We love him and she was looking to destroy his character in front of us. We said we loved him and that blew her up. She yelled at my wife and I escorted her out of the house. I finally told her I wanted no more and we could not have a relationship for now. She ignored that and called, came over, harrassed and such. I became very sharp with her and said I was serious. After a year of this, she finally backed off. It has been 2 years like this now. I have made several attempts at trying to help her see what life has been like with her. I have met with her in person a few times to discuss it, took her on a date just to try to have fun, met with her and her therapist 3 times, had her visit with a trusted friend of mine who thought she could mediate this, and have send her flowers on mothers day, etc. I want to heal this relationship. I feel obligated as a Christian to "Honor my parents". I also don't want to ever feel I gave up. However, I also feel like I need to keep my boundaries in place for the time being.Now, those are just some highlights of a 40 year history with her. There are numerous other stories and incidents. There is also her side of the story. If you were to here her, you would get a completely different story. She feels she was blinded during my sexual assault years by her husband and washes her hands of the whole deal. She views herself as a very righteous, church going, person. She can be the sweetest person, is very attractive, and very funny. She charms people easily. However, I am far from the only person hurt in the wake of her choices.Now that I have explained that. I am looking for a way to get a foot forward with her. If I crack open a door, she will shove it open all the way and my family is not ready for that. If I try to hash the past with her, I have no confidence she will try to see my view and understand what it has been like. If I attempt to mediate, she becomes dramatic and puts on an act, but I don't feel it is sincere. I'm ok with a long term strategy, but I have no idea how to proceed with her. Again, my goal is to find a footing that we can have a better future, she can know her grandkids and we can have some peace.
11/16/2016
Dr.G.
Dr.G., Psychologist

Hello sir. I find your story similar to my own. Dealing with a mother who has caused a lot of damage, shows little remorse, and now dealing with a torn relationship. I will cut to the chase and say this. We forgive because we have been forgiven. We show compassion because we have been shown compassion. As a Christian, it is about showing the love of Christ to those who are not deserving, because in reality we were not deserving of his love. This is going to be a the heart of your healing. There is no guarantee anything will get better with your mother. But first we must look at ourselves in the mirror and ask if we are exemplifying Christ through our thoughts and our actions. And, as we grow deeper in Christ and let the Holy Spirit guide us, things work out for the best. So, the take home message is stop trying to fix it, or get common ground, or change her. Boundaries are good, but so is being the light of the world. You follow HIM who will guide you. As a psychologist, and my wife being a therapist as well, nothing else worked to repair a broken relationship with my mother until I started obeying HIM who is the giver of peace. Might I suggest talking with a pastor or church elder who can help guide you along the way to always keep your sights on HIM, and the rest falls into place. Take care and God Bless.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for your insight. I am LDS and have been hesitant to talk with my Bishop about it as I feel I know what the answers will be. I guess I have been looking to force this to get solved before I can trust her and know this is not a problem that I can solve that way. It is going to take something beyond me.

Absolutely.

Dr.G.
Dr.G., Psychologist