Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

Jules, I have now come to the full awareness that my father…

Jules, I have now come...
Jules, I have now come to the full awareness that my father and his wife are both Narcissist. You know how you want to tell them off? Instead of holding it in? The only thing that keeps me from venting on them is that they will get what they are trying to get. Just a reaction from me. Does this really truly make them feel good? I think I do have the answer that it is in my best interest to just move on and say nothing. But I have been so violated! And they walk away on their merry way while I am left to pick up all the broken pieces. Just need a bit of clarity, probably because I do feel a little blind right now because it is so close to my heart.
11/10/2016
CounselorJules
CounselorJules, Counselor

Hi,I'm Jules, a LPC,I am reviewing your question now, and will post back with your thorough reply briefly :)

Automated response :) I'm sorry....give me a couple of minutes and I will review and answer :)

I do think that it is important to remember that in dealing with a narcissist or someone with the specific traits, that you have to understand that "anything you say can and will be used against you." lol. So, it could be likely that they would act as if you were ungrateful, suspicious, malicious, etc should you say anything. It would create an opportunity for them to feed their "victim's mentality." Remember how "baiting" is one of their forms of manipulation.....

They want to lure you in (first goal) to then accomplish a secondary goal. Their first goal may have been to have you allow them to come into your home, you be indebted to them for the acts of kindness and service that they so graciously offered (with such open arms and open hearts and generosity), but then there is another motive. They didn't "win" with you after their first attempt to bate. Yes you initially let him come down to help, but when you set the boundary, he was reactive and left. This left you feeling "guilty" and maybe confused, but also feeling dependent upon him-- this is what he wants-- he wants to find another way back in and there is another goal under the surface. So, keep in mind that totally telling them off, will only create more of the guilt, create more of an opportunity for them to "use" you or your fragility to manipulate you into something more.

Remember that you "don't have to accept the invitation to every argument that you are invited to." Remember that by not doing so, you maintain a sense of control. You owe no explanation further than what you have offered-- and explained in the first place! You felt that your step-mother attempted to come in and be all cavalier in your mother and step-father's home, without even communicating with you about things, and she had an expectation of what you should do for her. Your feelings were not a priority then, and if you engage in any sort of explanation with them, your feelings still wont be as much of a priority. They more you say, the more they can manipulate your statements and twist them-- which has already happened, like with the moving situation, so I would focus on how you can cope individually.

Remember to destroy your own inner thoughts of fear, obligation, and guilt. You cannot be driven by these emotions, because nothing positive ever comes from that-- actually these feelings lead us to enabling others or even our own patterns of co-dependence....

I used to keep a running in my journal-- "things I wish I could say, but I know that I shouldn't" and under that I would write responses to situations where I could totally blow my lid, but I knew that doing so would never yield any positive results-- only negative repercussions. It was a good way for me to externalize. Another thing you could do is write letters and never send them, but it at least gets some of your venom out, so that you are not eaten up by negative emotions. Then I would write down the qualities you like about yourself - remind yourself that you have gifts and talents -why you have goals, why your feelings are valid. Affirm who you are. Believe in yourself.

Also remember that this man is your biological father, but not your Heavenly father, and nor was he present as a "dad" for you. You are the daughter of a king- which makes you a princess, ha. But you are worth far more than any affirmation he could offer to you.

Does that help any?

NPD Support Groups & Links:

Out of the FOG Support Forum - Support for family members and loved-ones here at Out of the FOG.

http://www.psychforums.com/narcissistic-personality/ - Psychforums NPD Board

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Adult...enOFNarcissits- Yahoo group for adult children of Narcissistic parents.

http://p208.ezboard.com/bnarcissisticperso...oderfamilyforum- Narcissistic Personality Disorder Family Forum

Light's Blog - Info Sharing Blog for Survivors of Narcissism.

It's All About Him - support site and discussion forum for women with NPD partners.

http://bnarcissisticabuserecovery.runboard.com/ - Narcissistic Abuse Recovery Forum

Here are some other good sites.....

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was hoping I could move to California just to be close to family. I grew up in California and I miss my family. I don't care what I have to purchase as long as it is decent but not trashy. If I cannot afford what I see, I cannot move. I can accept that. I have other options as where to live but not near family. I am alone so I have my own choices. I'm afraid that my relatives told him I might be moving there and my Dad got the wrong impression about my financial situation, it was just a thought, a consideration. Now I don't know if he has said something to them that would stir them in the wrong direction or not. My Uncle in California has already offered me his house to stay with him until I find a place and a job there. He invited me to spend Thanksgiving there with the rest of the family. My dad could say something like, gee she couldn't even afford to pay me anything for supplies. What would you suggest?Thank you for the cites I will definitely use them! I know they could help me somehow.

I think that there is a lot to speculate regarding his actions, thoughts, or intentions, but the most important thing for you is to determine what is best for you. I do think that if you can afford the move and if you find something that you feel secure with, that is your best option. Being near a support system will be important, but maintaining healthy boundaries with people who may drag you down is important too.

I would focus on "what is" and not the "what if" situations related to your father. There is no evidence of his communication with your uncle, and I don't think that I would give that any power over my decisions or what may be best for me. His opinion or statements carry no weight or bearing on your decisions. You are free from any bondage from him, remember that. I think that you should spend the weekend with your uncle and family and enjoy the visit. If he goes and stirs a pot, then that is a reflection of him-- not you. If your father attempts to create alienation-- also remember that this is also a trait from a narcissist. You have to visit with the healthy family members regularly and have that support in place. I think that your uncle is offering you an opportunity and you can see what is available there, but also see the dynamics that are in place with family.

CounselorJules
CounselorJules, Counselor
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you, ***** ***** excellent!
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.