Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

I having been dating a girl months and the L-word has

I having been dating a...
I having been dating a girl for six months and the L-word has already been thrown out there. She's really fun to hang out with and has a great personality. I have noticed, more recently, mood shifts and her getting really upset with me. It seems sometimes we'll be having a good time and then suddenly she's really pissed off and ready to start a fight. She is a therapist and in trying to get to some resolution for the discord, I feel she plays mind checkers and wants to put me in a sofa. Also, I work out of town quite a bit and when I come home I feel a bit suffocated. She gets upset when I tell her I want to relax and do my own thing on some days. I have had discussions with her about how I am trying to be financially responsible and don't want to spend excessively all the time and yet she still wants to eat out and pay for everything all the time. This goes for going on vacation as well. I'm unsure what I should do. She stresses communication, but doesn't react well when it's news she doesn't want to here, or goes into therapist mode which is super frustrating. And also, sex has seem to come to a screeching halt. Im unsure how to have a productive conversation with her about my concerns?
3/7/2016
TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC

Hi. Sounds quite frustrating. I think the best way might be to ask her to sit and listen...not to respond right away but just to listen as you feel like you aren't being heard. I would then put out all your feelings and desires again and see if she is able to take it all in and respond to what you need in the relationship as well. If she constantly blocks it by going into therapist mode and cannot listen and respond in different ways, then you will be left with a choice as to whether this is the right fit for you moving forward. Your styles sound a bit different, and while that doesn't mean you can't make it work, it just may make it a bit harder to find your way through some tough spots. Be open with her again and put it all out there...let her know you desire things to work but need to be heard. Not sure why sex after 6 months has ended as well..this is a new relationship and things usually still feel light and free and filled with intimacy. That should come up as well to understand what is going on for her around it.

TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC