Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

I am a pharmaceutical rep. I work major pharma company (have…

I am a pharmaceutical rep...
I am a pharmaceutical rep. I work for a major pharma company (have been here almost 34 years). My daughter is a bridesmaid in the wedding of one of her friends from a church retreat (Episcopal church; Happening). I know the bride & her mother quite well. We've been very involved with this church thing. Her mom and I are good friends. They attend an Episcopal church in a small town in my territory.
In this town, there is a doctor who does not see reps. AT all. He is a member of the Episcopal church. He has prayed for me when I attended Cursillo (not that he knows me). His daughter & mine were good friends through the Happening experience in high school.
I have been invited to a shower for my friend's daughter (initial paragraph)....the young woman for whom my daughter is a bridesmaid. The shower is hosted by the wife and the daughter of the man who will not see me professionally. I will attend because I adore the bride and her mother. But how can I interact with a man who will not acknowledge my presence professionally but I will see socially? I am very conflicted.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/4/2016
CounselorJules
CounselorJules, Counselor

I understand the conflict, but I do encourage you to go to the shower. Supporting his daughter, and wife, could eventually lead to more positive interactions with him professionally. I would engage with him at the shower, as though the work relationship does not exist. Be polite, courteous, and congratulatory. It sounds as though his boundary regarding reps is not personal toward you. It may just be a professional boundary that he does not make exceptions with. Have fun and go with the positive intentions of supporting the bride :)

I hope that has been helpful!

I hope you were able to review and process the response. You clearly have a positive outlook on relationships and have good people skills in order to have been a successful rep for all of these years. He has a past of engaging in prayer with you for your daughter and so I would say that he just has his professional boundaries that he does not stray from. You are a confident person, as evidenced by your success, and I would continue to exude this in your interactions, no matter the environment. I hope you will take the time to accept the answer and provide positive feedback. Thank you so much! Julie

CounselorJules
CounselorJules, Counselor