Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

I am in the middle of a family crisis with my parents and…

Customer Question
Hello, I am in the middle...
I am in the middle of a family crisis with my parents and not sure how to move forward. They have been staying here for a visit for the past couple of weeks. Last night, they had an argument with my husband and left for a hotel. My husband doesn't want me to speak with them. I want to talk with them and reconcile but my husband would be upset. Any suggestions, strategies?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Relationship
1/18/2016
Counselor: TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC replied 2 years ago
TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC

Sorry you are in such a tough spot. It sounds a bit unrealistic for your husband to ask you not to speak to them. I would go to him in a quiet moment and let him know that you desire for all of this to be repaired and would like to be able to speak to them to that process going. If they were rude to your husband you can let him know that you plan on letting them know that. You are not desirious of cutting out your parents and you r husband, I am hoping can hear your feelings about it too. You can remind him it is not about taking sides, but rather about smoothing things over as that is what families do.

My parents won't talk about it unless he apologizes . What can I say to them?

I would say that standing on ceremony and forcing or waiting for an apology only hurts the process moving forward. What transpired that everyone is standing their ground so firmly?

Let me know your additional thoughts.

This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.