TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker
64783947

My boyfriend is 41. I'm 35. He is currently staying with me

Customer Question

My boyfriend is 41. I'm 35. He is currently staying with me until he finds a house. The past month, he has started to act distant. He told me he feels depressed and void of all emotions. He said he loves me and cares about me, but he is confused. I know he is under a lot of stress right now. His car broke down, his ex wife is giving him grief about living with me because of his daughters, and a few other life obstacles. He barely touches me. Sex is completely gone during this time period. Even kisses has went to just a peck, usually when he's leaving. He told me 2 days ago that he knows he is one foot in, one foot out right now. His is driving me crazy. Should I try to have patience and be understanding or our we doomed. Last month we were talking about marriage and going to Italy together, now he barely looks at me.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for this pain you are experiencing right now. It sounds like he is really under a tremendous amount of pressure and having a difficult time managing it all. It seems less about you and your relationship with him and more about all the other stress. I know it is hard, but if you can, I would be loving and supportive without pushing him and let him work through this and if you can be supportive, I do feel that things can be okay. Yes, you deserve the mutuality, but he isn't able to give it right now and because you love him, I think patience and understanding will bring things back to where you desire them to be.

Let me know your thoughts.