Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

After four years together, 5 months living together feel…

Customer Question
After four years together, 5...
After four years together, 5 months living together feel boyfriend still isn't ready for a commitment. I'm really torn over staying or going.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Relationship
A little about each of us. He's 38 never been married, no children, from divorced parents, never lived with anyone, never been in a relationship longer than two years, before we started dating really enjoyed living alone.
I, 39, have been divorced for six years after being married fifteen, two children (20/17), lived with one other person other than ex husband, not afraid of commitment
10/30/2015
Counselor: Jen Helant, Counselor replied 2 years ago
Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Counselor

H,

I would like to help. Do you have a specific question or would like my general advice?

He says he loves me, wants us to stay together but it seems like he wants that part time. In other words not every second of every day because it seems like alot. I want what he wants but a commitment to me is full time. You give yourself to someone all the time not sometime. Which is why im not sure in staying or going. I can't understand him.

Is it that he wants some space like to go out alone and etc or is he not sure if he wants to marry? What time of specific situations do you both not agree on?

Space to get things done around the house, finish a couple of projects, spend a little more time with his family. Hes not against marriage but feels im not in a place he'd like for me to be to get married. As far as what we don't agree on? We came up with this last night. We both feel the other is not doing what they say they are, both feel one is doing more than the other and we're both frustrated. That's pretty much it (what I can remember). We compromise and communicate well.