Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Counselor
Experience:  I have a degree in psychology and worked with many couples. I am happily married and have been for 10 years.
13551071

My boyfriend and I are going through a rough patch. He's so

Customer Question

Hi- my boyfriend and I are going through a rough patch. He's so crazy busy at work, and I'm busy too... But we're seeing less and less of each other. He doesn't want to commit to any future vacations with me because he's nervous about having to work (he's a freelance photographer) because he takes what he can get. A few days ago he told me some days he can see forever with me, other days he wants to do his own thing. Then last night he told me he wants to work on things and he's 100% committed to me. He said he would see me more often, etc. Things still feel weird and the dust is settling. Any suggestions on how to break the awkward barrier?
Category: Relationship
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I forgot to mention- we just took a trip together and he felt that after the trip he just wanted to take space away from me. That scared him that he needed some space away.
Expert:  Jen Helant replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your question and I would like to help. How has things been after his commitment? Did he want space after or before that?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He's been a bit distant after the commitment. (Been two days). Texts me a bit throughout day, but hasn't made plans to see me again. I'm waiting for him to kind of make moves bc he needs to be the one who works on things a bit... Maybe he needs more time to think?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He took space before we had our talk, and is just acting very distant still even though he made the commitment to work on things with me. Acting bizarre....

Do you believe he is stressed about his work? How does he treat you?