How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMaryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMaryAnn, Counselor
Category: Relationship
Satisfied Customers: 1694
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues
Type Your Relationship Question Here...
TherapistMaryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend.s daughter who is 28 just moved back in to her

Customer Question

my boyfriend.s daughter who is 28 just moved back in to her dad's apartment. It's a small apt. and our privacy is limited. she also brought a big dog in because it was a present from her ex. herdad is 61yrs. old and doesn't want the dog there because no
one is home all day and the dod has to remain in it's cage in her bedrm. my boyfriend thinks she knows he hates this. not fair to the dog. he says she thinks his daughter knows this but he has not been forceful enough to yell her straight out. I'm wondering
why? what is he afraid of? he says he's surprised that she doesn't want to get on her own. now she says she wants to buy a car and make payments. i told him to diswade her because she will never move out.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  ratioscripta replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; (B) f you receive a phone call offer while we chat, know that this is an automated test feature the site is running. Due to possible ethical issues, the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I normally decline them. Unless the phone call offer you receive literally states "THIS OFFER IS FROM ELY" (which means I personally initiated it), please do not entertain any such offer; and (C) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am sorry to hear about this situation. Can you please tell me:
1) What state is this in, and
2) What exactly are you asking, i.e. what is your question? Such as, "Can I force her to move out even if he is not in agreement?"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this is not a lawyer question. it has to do with my boyfriend in relationship to me. i need the therapist here
Expert:  ratioscripta replied 2 years ago.
Ah, okay. For some reason, it was sent to the legal category.
I am going to opt out and move this to the proper category. No need to reply.
Expert:  Santo B replied 2 years ago.
Do you know the reason for her moving into the apartment? Do you live with them? If you do, it sounds like you are entitle to voice your concerns about the living situation. Also, do you have a good understanding of the dynamic of their relationship. It sounds like the daughter is taking advantage of her father, and he has decided not to voice his concerns to her. Would you say that had a good relationship, and are able to discuss concerns openly and honestly? I am not sure yelling is the solution. Most of the time, when you yell at someone they tend to shut down and stop listening. It sounds like a conversation is your best bet. Possibly the three of you sit and have a discussion over a meal.
Expert:  Santo B replied 2 years ago.
I am writing to follow up with you. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to be of help to you.