Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

Im a first time mum and supposed to be due tomorrow. Im really…

I'm a first time mum...
I'm a first time mum and supposed to be due tomorrow. I'm really terrified. I haven't been sleeping well due to the worst heart burn and anxiety. Everyone tries to reassure me but I'm scared completely by childbirth. I feel like I'm going to have a panic attack all the time. What to do?
12/6/2013
TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Hi and welcome. I am a Licensed Master Social Worker with more than 20 years experience working with individuals and families on a variety of issues.

Good luck and congratulations. Your fear is completely normal and you are not alone. if you have taken any child birthing class then rely on what you have learned and use your techniques and breathing to get you through these moments. Try and listen to some calming music to get you through these feelings of panic in anticipation.
It is possible that by the time you are reading this that you have already given birth and if so, I am hoping you and the baby are well.

On an additional note, this type of anxiety is how all new moms feel whether it is in anticipation of childbirth or any other experience being a Mom. It comes with the territory and shows us that we now care for another so very much and will do what we can to protect them, ourselves and our family.

Breathe and listen to calming music or meditation to get you through. If congratulations are in order I am sending them your way. I am here if you need some support.
I took pre natal classes at the hospital. But they don't teach you any breathing techniques. It didn't help my fears
Hi Megan,
Have you given birth yet?
The fear of the unknown and what will be is very powerful and these fears are quite common. Would it help to call your OB to express how you are feeling and maybe if they walk you through the whole process it can calm you.
I would also check with them as to how they feel about you listening to some calming meditation so that when these fears come up for you and have you feel panic that you could listen to these calming meditations and breathe through the anxiety.

Most often the fear before is worse than the actual even and this is true of so many things. Most moms will tell you that once the baby is in your arms any memory of the process is overshadowed by the joy of the baby.

Let me know where you are in the process.
No I haven't given birth yet. I have appointments with the hospital but they are very unhelpful.
As I suggested above, your fears are normal and please find some meditative music to listen to so when these feelings come up you can try to calm yourself. There are helpful people out there and you must try to continue to reach out to them. Once your beautiful baby is born this space will be behind you but if you are prone to this type of anxiety I would suggest finding someone face to face to sit with to work on this as you shouldn't have to live with such fear and anxiety.
TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC