How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMaryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMaryAnn, Counselor
Category: Relationship
Satisfied Customers: 5838
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues
Type Your Relationship Question Here...
TherapistMaryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What kind of counsler should I see to help me

This answer was rated:

What kind of counsler should I see to help me
Thank you for requesting my assistance with your question.

It is best to see a Master's level therapist or a Ph.D. A psychiatrist is a medical doctor trained in psychology. They mostly prescribe medications, though they can do therapy. Someone with a Master's degree or Ph.D. however just does therapy. You can also seek out someone who specializes in grief therapy, though all counselors must have some training in grief and most have experience.

Here is a list of credentials to help you know what you are looking for:

You want to find someone who has either a M.S., M.Ed, M.A., or M.S.W./L.S.W. These are some of the most common degrees for therapists. Other initials are usually extra certifications or licenses.

The type of therapy that would be most helpful is Cognitive Behavioral therapy. That type of therapy can help you identify your thoughts and change them so you can change how you feel. You can find a therapist that specializes in CBT or someone who uses an "eclectic" style which includes different types of therapy tailored to your needs.

To find a therapist, talk with your doctor for a referral. You can also search on line at:

You can also use self help to provide answers and help you work on your issues. Here are some resources to help:

I hope this has helped you,
TherapistMaryAnn and other Relationship Specialists are ready to help you