How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Elliott, LPCC, NCC Your Own Question
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Category: Relationship
Satisfied Customers: 7664
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Type Your Relationship Question Here...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I help my daughter get over her breakup. She is 22

This answer was rated:

How can I help my daughter get over her breakup. She is 22 and been dating a guy for 2 years who is saying he sees her only as a friend. She is devastated he told her perhaps a break but I think that was trying to make it easier on her. She is crying all the time and has had to take this week off work. She is the only person in her group that is single and she is stressed about that too.
I get very upset when she is so I am not being too much help ? She does not live with me but we are very close. Any advice ?
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

I believe that I can help.

First time breakups (I assume this is a first) are very hard, but they are a part of life. She is suffering a form of grief, but it is not from the death of a loved one or close family member.

Grief and loss are very tough but they are part of life and she cannot avoid the realities of the human condition, and you cannot protect her.

She is suffering not only the loss of this boyfriend, but a loss in social position.

Most people best get over losses by enduring them and not taking medication.

Your daughter seems particularly sensitive, and it is disrupting her work and her family life.

It this case, it may be prudent for her to see her family physician and tell him or her about her extreme reaction to this loss, in the hope that the physician will give her a short-term dose of anti-anxiety medication which will help get her on her feet and back to work.

She will grow stronger from this in the end, and is fortunate to have her family behind her.

She will move past this, prosper, and find someone more suitable for her.

I have a great book for you to get her. It has helped many of my clients:

Product Details

Getting Past Your Breakup: How to Turn a Devastating Loss into the Best Thing That Ever Happened to You by Susan J. Elliott JD MEd

She is not alone to suffer this and will not be alone to come out healed and stronger than ever on the other side.

I shall keep her, and all of you family in my prayers.

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC and other Relationship Specialists are ready to help you