How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Elliott, LPCC, NCC Your Own Question
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Category: Relationship
Satisfied Customers: 7664
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Type Your Relationship Question Here...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my father is an alcoholic and my mother kept it well hidden

This answer was rated:

my father is an alcoholic and my mother kept it well hidden most of my life. Today he is in his 70's and has balance and eye sight problems. He has a lot of pain everywhere, and high blood sugar but no diabetes. To your knowledge, is any of this related to long-term alcoholism, or should I ask under health catagory?
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear Dawn,

Being an alcoholic is the same thing as long-term alcoholism.

Chronic high blood sugar is diabetes. A person with simple diabetes (diabetes mellitus) has high blood sugar, either because the pancreas does not produce enough insulin, or because cells do not respond to the insulin that is produced.The high blood sugar produces the classical symptoms of frequent urination, increased thirst, and increased hunger.

Pain could be from many or multiple causes.

Eyesight problems could be a direct result of the diabetes.

If your blood sugar is high, a urologist will tell you outright that you have diabetes.

I assume that this is a prelude to relationship issues.

If you have more health concerns then I will transfer you so someone else.

Warm regards,


Elliott, LPCC, NCC and other Relationship Specialists are ready to help you