Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

Relationship

I need help with how Im feeling. I know I just need to move

I need help with how...
I need help with how I'm feeling. I know I just need to move on because it's not the best relationship that has just ended, but now I feel like he has left me because he met someone else. I don't know whether to meet with him for coffee one last time or to just move on.
10/30/2013
Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,
I am sorry that you are having this confusion. "I know I just need to move on" and "I don't know whether to...just move on." all in the same sentence. Having coffee one last time will just add to the confusion. What is really troubling you is the rejection. So if you can work on your sensitivity to rejection that will help you to move on.

First, look at the past. Think of other times when you were rejected. Have you ever been abandoned by a parent, for instance? This past rejections make you vulnerable and extra sensitive to this break up. You may need to talk to a therapist/counselor a few times to process the effect rejection has on you.

You know you need to move on.....so just keep busy, do new things, meet new people to distract yourself. You will be okay in time.

I wish you the best and warm regards

Your good. Thanks - yes I think I do have rejection issues from the past.

I just don't understand how someone can go from saying thing like 'i love you with all my soul' and talking about having babies and starting a family to just wanting it to be over. But I guess it doesn't matter.

Hi Patrea,

Well...thank you for the compliment. Let's apply some psychology to his behavior. He has trouble with comittment. It is possible that, he too, has suffered many disappointments and feels vulnerable when he gets too close. Just a theory but still better that you move on.

Good luck
Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist
Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist