Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

Relationship

my husband moved out of my house last May. Now he wants to

my husband moved out of...
my husband moved out of my house last May. Now he wants to move back but I don't want him to. What do I need to do to keep him out?
9/25/2013
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist

Dr. Mark :

Hi! I'll be glad to help you with this issue.

Dr. Mark :

Do you mean you're wondering if you should get a restraining order to keep him away from the house?

Dr. Mark :

Is he a reasonable person? Or are you afraid he will actually move back in without your okay?

Customer:

Hi Dr. Mark,

Customer:

He just told me he was moving back in whether I want him to or not. I don't want him to. Do I have any rights to keep him away?

Dr. Mark :

Well, you would need to call your police division. You can start with 911 and explain the situation to them. Then you would go down to the police station and fill out the paperwork for a restraining order. You would then go in front of a judge and explain why you are afraid. Is this doable?

Customer:

Does the restraining order keep him from moving in and is it something I can do before 5p tomorrow?

Dr. Mark :

You may be able to have a temporary restraining order issued before 5 pm tomorrow if you start this evening.

Customer:

Can I call 911 now even if it's not an immediate emergency?

Dr. Mark :

You can if you explain that you don't know how to get in touch with your police division local office and ask if they can give you the phone number of your precinct office because you're worried. Would you feel comfortable doing that?

Customer:

Do I need to feel in danger in order to do this? Do I need to prove that I'm in danger?

Dr. Mark :

You need to feel as though there might be an argument where you may feel threatened in some way. Either physically or because of yelling or verbal abuse.

Customer:

Ok. Do I need to prove I'm in danger?

Dr. Mark :

No, not for a temporary restraining order. It will give a cooling off period. And it will give him the message that you are serious and that you are not agreeable to being bullied.

Customer:

Ok. Thanks very much

Dr. Mark :

You are so welcome.

I wish you the very best!

My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "For Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer:

Thanks very much

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist