How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Elliott, LPCC, NCC Your Own Question
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Category: Relationship
Satisfied Customers: 7664
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Type Your Relationship Question Here...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in relationship with a very abuse man for eight years

Customer Question

I am in relationship with a very abuse man for eight years and we are engaged. He has a business but I have no say. He started the company when we got together. He is quite successful but everytime we have an argument he throws me out with nothing. I have never left the house but I need to know if I have any rights so that I can start planning a new future.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 3 years ago.
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

I believe that I can help.

You may be qualified as a common law wife, depending on where you live. To be qualified for that you must live together for a certain amount of time (depending where you live), and "represent yourself" as man and wife.

In those states that accept common law marriages you are also entitled to receive the social security benefits of the deceased spouse.

If you live in Colorado, Montana, Oklahoma, Utah, Texas, Kansas, Iowa, Alabama, South Carolina, Rhode Island or the District of Columbia, you may have a common-law marriage for Social Security purposes, and this will remain valid even if you move to another state.

Check with an attorney if you qualify. If you not in one of those states then you probably have no rights.

Perhaps you can find an alternative means of making a living and start out fresh on your own. You have have to struggle, but you are paying a big price for your economic benefits and it may not be worthwhile to remain in this position for the rest of your life.

I wish you strength and wisdom and shall keep you in my prayers.

Warm regards,


Related Relationship Questions