Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

Relationship

My girlfriend for 8 years had an affair for the last 7 months

Customer Question
of our relationship she decide...
My girlfriend for 8 years had an affair for the last 7 months of our relationship she decide to move in with guy to see where it might go I in turn was heartbroken my question what is the percentage of them making it work
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Relationship
5/21/2013
Counselor: Dr. Norman Brown, Marriage Therapist replied 4 years ago
Dr. Norman Brown
Dr. Norman Brown, Marriage Therapist

Welcome to my couples workshop, where people 18-80 of diverse cultures & orientations have come to explore their questions and find a path of heart. The system wouldn't let me do chat with you, so I had to switch it to Q & A to start writing.

I'd say 7 months is pretty long for an extrarelationship affair to last. And the roots of the problem might be in your not moving further toward a permanent commitment with plans for greater things (like marriage & children)--because sitting on a plateau of love relationship for several years after the initial romantic passion normally simmers down at year 3 could have made your GF internally frustrated even if she didn't express or even realize it.

Do you have any ideas about what she might be experiencing with him that she couldn't experience with you, besides "new love" that regularly "chases away old love?" Perhaps Some types of togetherness, like intellectual companionship? play, sports or leisure activities? artistic or aesthetic appreciation? creative projects? outdoors adventures? more socializing? or more alone time? more prestige? more or less interest in having children? religious or political beliefs?

I wasn't a good boyfriend either but. We work thru it and continue our union but she became a flight attendant and I guess saw the world thru fresh new eyes I just she could have shown better side than lies and the sneaky way I felt 8 years deserve some respect to tell me truth and to tell me she move by herself and I found out later she lives with him was upsetting how can you live happier ever after on someone misery.
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Dr. Norman Brown
Dr. Norman Brown
Dr. Norman Brown, Marriage Therapist