TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Counselor
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues
54658078

e

After school, I am the only one home when my18 year old comes home. So it cant be avoidance of a conflict between my husband and I. We have a good relationship and treats me well and I'm speaking of my relationship with my son. However, he claims its the house as to why he tries to stay away after school. So I thought it was due to traumatic memories in the house. However he goes to great lengths to stay away makes me think its me or because I am sick because Im the only one here after school. Today, he said Ill wait in mycar until its ti

Category: Relationship
Expert:  TherapistMaryAnn replied 4 years ago.
It could be that he is upset with you in some way. It's hard to tell without talking to him. But if he avoids talking about it and won't tell you what it is, there is little you can do except continue to treat him well and hope he works it out on his own. Hopefully, he will tell you someday what he is feeling. If you leave it to him and just try to have a good relationship with him, he will probably tell you eventually.

Kate
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, so than its a little unusual that he won't want to come home consistently after school and stay away , particularly since Dad is not even home. so do you mean that it's possible he's not admitting some anger towards me? does that sound likely.? its so its hard for me to wrap my head around it because we do get along well. I hope you don't mind I'm just looking for clarity.
It is possible. But if he is not willing to tell you what he is feeling, then that makes it very hard to determine what is going on. It could be that he does have bad memories in the home or that he is upset with something else entirely. All you can do is ask him, let him know you are concerned then try to get along with him just as you have. He isn't giving you much else to go on because he won't talk about it.

Kate
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Kate ! I hope you have a good evening. Your right, I dont have much to go on. Until I speak to you again, thanks for your time today.
You're welcome! It is sometimes really hard to know what someone else is thinking unless they are willing to share. And assuming this is about you can really hurt you. You may want to wait until you know more before you consider it is about you. That is only going to hurt you and possibly your relationship with your son.

Take care,

Kate
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for that added comment Kate.
I understand what you mean and I wont assume that its about me.
Your right, it would only hurt me and / or our relationship.
I agree , and always appreciate your wisdom.
You're welcome! Talk to you soon!

Kate