LoveOneAnother
LoveOneAnother, Therapist
Experience:  13 years experience working with individuals in various capacities including counseling, leading, and teaching.
66576563

I dont know if this is the right category for this question

I don't know if this is the right category for this question but it seemed "less bad" than the others so here it goes. I'm in the Master's program at a graduate school, & my goal is to apply to the Ph.D. program in a year & get accepted. I'm doing very well in the M.A. program & will continue to do so. I'm a little worried cause I'm not sure they'll necessarily look at it as a plus that I'm there already. What I'm saying is they might want to recruit more Ph.D. students from outside the program instead of just bumping up people they already have "in-house." I know a couple of program take a lot of students from their M.A. program, but every school is different. What do you think?

LoveOneAnother :

I think it just depends on the school. Some schools actually favor their students because they have been already adapted well, especially in your case as a good student, to the environment and have been positively influenced by the thoughts and mindsets of the current faculty.

Customer:

sounds reasonable, but I'm thinking I should e-mail a couple of professors just to be sure

Customer:

like, I don't want to go another whole year thinking I have a shot if I don't

Customer:

and I should look elsewhere

LoveOneAnother :

It does not hurt to apply anyways. And yes, emailing some professors that you have already established rapport with and just asking them about what their advice is to your application to the doctoral program would be an excellent option, for sure.

Customer:

The professors are ok. But sometimes they seem like they don't want to be bothered. Like we're getting in the way of their research. But the thing is, they're not really researching anything that great

LoveOneAnother :

So you may not finish your masters program and enter a doctoral program then?

LoveOneAnother :

With professors, whatever their researching, it probably seems very exciting to them. I hope that they still spend quality time with the students though.

Customer:

No, I will definitely finish the master's program, and apply to ph.d. programs.

Customer:

philosophy is my life

LoveOneAnother :

I see. This sounds good.

LoveOneAnother :

I would "interview" as many people as I could about the type of program that you want to get into including current students. See what the pros and cons are, the challenges and opportunities, what people wish they'd known before they entered, what surprised them, any advice they could give, etc.

Customer:

That's true, that sounds good. I definitely want to get a feel for what I would be getting into in the Ph.D. program\

LoveOneAnother :

Yes, and doing an interview is the best way. People love to share their experiences. You just have to be aware of the bias of being a teacher at the school in which the professor is trying to recruit students. Students will be the most forthright, I would think, but not always. Most want a good fit.

Customer:

True. Ok, thank you for your help.