Dr. Paige
Dr. Paige, Psychologist
Experience:  Ph.D. Licensed Psychologist
15718554

I have an amazing fiancee. She accepts me for all my past

I have an amazing fiancee. She accepts me for all my past mistakes (which are much worse than anything she has ever done!) For some reason I am hung up on a one night stand she had before we met. How I found out about it was by the guy in question making strange comments which I asked my fiancee about and she just blurted out they had had a one night stand (I was really surprised as that is not her character). I am concerned that I can't let this go even though I want to.
Hello. You will probably never be able to completely let it go because the fact is, it happened and you know about it. You can't change it. The only thing you can do is change how you react to it going forward.
You don't need to worry about it being her character or over analyze it. Time will help you deal with it, as will practicing a different way of thinking. It happened. The past is the past. It was before you met. You said she is amazing, so focus on your future. Give this time. There is nothing you can do other than to handle this day to day and work on thinking about the positives in your relationship. If you want to let this go, you can. Just practice different thinking as I said and remember you can't change the past. That's all you can do. There isn't a specific method or quick healing tip I can give you which will make it all go away. Learn how to deal with it and you will be fine.