How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Elliott, LPCC, NCC Your Own Question
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Category: Relationship
Satisfied Customers: 7664
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Type Your Relationship Question Here...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I have been married for less than a year and

This answer was rated:

My husband and I have been married for less than a year and have moved away from my grown up children. We lived together for 5 years prior to getting married but have little in common. I want this marriage to work (it is the 3rd marriage for us both). At weekends I want us to do things together - he says I am 'like a child that needs entertaining' and makes it known that he doesnt really want to go out. We never meet other people and only go for a quick drink after work once a week. I am bored. What can I do to change things?
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective

Your husband needs to understand that being married is a two way deal, and that he is asking for his interests and needs to be accommodated, which they are, whilst yours are ignored and set aside.

It seems that perhaps you have made a bad decision to have married him and moved away from your children.

You have three options, as I see it.

Put up with it, which is surely not acceptable.

Request that you go to marriage counselling together. You can start off by getting a book that I will recommend below.

If he will not change his ways (learn new tricks or ways of being an equal partner) then you might be best to end the relationship and move back to where your children live, or start a new chapter in your life in some other way.

The book that I highly recommend is:

Product Details

The Seven Principles For Making Marriage Work by John Gottman


I shall keep you both in my prayers.


Warm regards,



Elliott, LPCC, NCC and other Relationship Specialists are ready to help you

Related Relationship Questions