Dr. D. Brown
Dr. D. Brown, Psychologist
Experience:  21 years as Psychotherapist & Relationship Specialist
59759990

MY GIRL FRIEND IS WORKING LATE HOURS ,SOME TIMES SHE IS AVAILABLE

MY GIRL FRIEND IS WORKING LATE HOURS ,SOME TIMES SHE IS AVAILABLE AT 10:30 PM. WHEN I COME TO HER HOME SHE IS BUSY READING HER E MAIL, SURFING ON FACE BOOK, TEXING TO FRIENDS -ALL AT ALL SHE IS SPENDING 1 HOUR BEFORE SHE PAYS ATTENTION TO ME. I AM TRYING TO READ MEANWHILE BUT NEVERTHELESS I AM ANNOYED. WHEN I MAKE A COMMENT SHE BECOME UPSET AND TELL ME THAT I SHOULD NOT TELL HER WHAT TO DO. I AM LONELY ALL DAY AND WAITING FOR HER. OFF COURSE I CAN BE ACTIVE DURING THE DAY BUT THE ACTIVITY DOES NOT AFFECT MY FEELING ABOUT OUR
RELATIONSHIP. I AM CONSIDERING TO MEET OTHER WOMEN DURING THE DAY WHICH IS NOT THE SAME AS DATING. PLEASE ADVISE

Dr. D. Brown :

Hello. I am Dr. Brown and will take a moment to review your question.

Dr. D. Brown :

Ok, I can certainly understand why you are feeling neglected. After waiting all day, you understandably want your girlfriend to connect with you when you get home. Perhaps you could reframe things by saying that you really miss connecting with her and would love to spend some quality time with her when she comes home. Maybe you could plan a "date" of sorts and suggest having a nice dinner together or watching a movie or just sitting and talking at the end of the day. Some couples take 30 minutes before dinner to just sit and talk about their day and really connect, which creates a feeling of intimacy before it gets too late. If you can do this, then perhaps each of you can have some alone time to go online, read, etc. In this way, the situation becomes more balanced and you get your "couple" needs met as well as "individual" needs met. I hope this answers your question. I appreciate a positive rating if you feel your question was answered sufficiently. If not, please email me and let me know what else you need to resolve this situation. Thank you for the opportunity to be of service.

Customer:

i tried to follow your advice. so far i failed. what i will try do is not to meet her when s h e wants but rather give her one hour of privacy. let her be alone and accomplish what she wants to do. she is a person who believes that she is 24/7 busy.

Dr. D. Brown :

Yes, that is a good plan. Give her one hour of privacy and you take that hour for yourself too. She will feel less pressured from you and most likely, want to connect after she has had her time. Take good care and let me know how it goes, if you wish. Good luck!