Dr. Paige
Dr. Paige, Psychologist
Experience:  Ph.D. Licensed Psychologist
15718554

I like to ask out a girl and I am so nervous. We are really

Customer Question

I like to ask out a girl and I am so nervous. We are really good friends, and I don't want to mess that friendship. I think she has always seen me a friend. Even we are from different ethnic groups. It makes me so nervous. I don't know what to do?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Paige replied 4 years ago.
Hello. If you are both really good friends, then I would imagine that you have been out together before? It's difficult for me to be specific without knowing your level of friendship with her currently and what you both do together already. A lot of times, relationships take a natural course based on good friendships. You should not be nervous if you know her so well. Asking her out for lunch or a coffee should not be a big deal if you know her so well.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes we went out before, but I was thinking to ask her out for a date. I just met her three months back, and we became very close. It is like we see each other everyday.Of course, we both are in same electrical engineering courses right now.But besides classes, we study together for everything. During the weekends we will also see each other.

Expert:  Dr. Paige replied 4 years ago.
It almost sounds like you are kind of seeing each other already, if you are spending so much time together. Asking her to go for a breakfast or lunch date may be more comfortable for you and less like a "date". GOing out to dinner tends to seem more serious, even though it is just a social stigma. Maybe if you are both into the same kind of music, you can ask her to go see a local show of some sort. There are lots of things you can ask her to do which are less stressful to ask her to do. Once you have done some of these lesser type hang out things, then you can get more serious with her. This will help build your confidence.