Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Counselor
Experience:  I have a degree in psychology and worked with many couples. I am happily married and have been for 10 years.
13551071

my husband of 29 years has been diagnosed as a sex addict and

my husband of 29 years has been diagnosed as a sex addict and has had sessions with a specials psychotherapist to treat it. Not completely successfull. What are the odds that our marriage can be a true one in the future? I don't know whether to stay or give up.

jenhelant :

Hi, I am sorry about what you are going through. This really depends on your marriage as a whole and how willing he is to get treatment as well as how effective the treatment is. I think the good first step is that he is admitting his problem and seeking help. This is sometimes the biggest challenge ever. Even if this treatment was not successful it may be good to seek another. It is not impossible to get helped from this. If you are willing to be patient and help him get through this and he is willing to continue with treatment then the chances of saving your marriage is good. This being said given that your relationship as a whole is rather good since other issues can come into play as well. I wish you gentle wishes with this and hope he continues working on this issues. Please let me know if I can be of further help.

jenhelant :

Thanks

jenhelant :

Jennifer

Jen Helant, Counselor
Experience: I have a degree in psychology and worked with many couples. I am happily married and have been for 10 years.
It is difficult to say whether your relationship will survive at this point. I know you would like to hear that all will be well but research has shown (in many studies) that there is an increased risk of divorce among those who are married to a sex addict.I encourage you to be supportive but to also get help for yourself in groups such as http://sanon.org/ (support for families and loved ones with sexual addiction.