TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Counselor
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues
54658078

So ive been with my boyfriend for about 2 years . an my mom

Customer Question

So ive been with my boyfriend for about 2 years . an my mom isnt the biggest fan because right now he isnt in school and isnt working she just bugs me about i should be with someone else without hearing me out and listening to how he makes me feel or anything. what should i do ?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr.G. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, it sounds like this is bothering you about your mom not approving of this relationship. I'm wondering, why does your mom's input really matter or affect you. You are an adult and if you choose to be with someone who is not working or in school then that is your decision. I dont know, she might have legitimate concerns, but ultimately the decision is yours. If her input is important to you, if you believe she has your best interests in mind, and she really is just looking out for you then taking stock in what she is saying is probably a good idea.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I understand she wants the best for me but little does she know is how he makes me feel . That's my best friend someone I can be open to regardless of the past and all we've. Been through he has always been there for me. On top of it all she says how he doesn't go to church with me , which shouldn't matter. She told me how her family has a tendency of taking care of the guys and them depending on the girls , but it's not like that at all. I have no idea on how to confront her and tell her what she dhs to me hurts my feeling more than she can imagine . It is like she wants to live her life off of me .