Sorry to hear what you are going through just now. Sadly, it is NOT uncommon. This may just be (to a certain extent) a natural part of ageing.
Impotence is a recorded side effect of Diovan, although it is not common, as is feeling very tired. It would be well worth checking this out with his prescriber.
The causes of a erectile dysfunction can be physical, psychological or a mixture of the two.
The very first thing is for him to have a physical checkup.It is possible that your husband’s hormones are out of balance.It may be too that he is over-stressed and over-tired.
The commonest physical causes are:
- Any systemic disease such as diabetes.
- Alcoholism – or simple heavy alcohol use..
- Abuse of recreational drugs.
- Obesity – quite common; slimming down will often help.
- .Dysfunctional thyroid - where the pituitary gland produces too much of the hormone prolactin.
- Prescribed drugs
- Anaemia – very uncommon
- Low testosterone level – again uncommon.
Once any physical causes have been ruled out or dealt with, one can look at the psychological side.
- Stress and overwork
- Depression – very common.
- Childhood conditioning that sex is ‘bad’..
- Lack of trust or relationship problems with your partner.
What Can You do.
Begin by seeing his GP.
If his doctor can't help, he or she can refer you to a specialist.
Remember that drugs like Viagra only affect erectile function, they do not affect the desire for sex itself.They can, however, do away with the ‘fear of failure’ which is often an issue.
Best wishes, NormanM