John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)
Experience:  25+ years helping resolve relational issues.
68372260

Hello, my best friend every time we go out with women, he

my best friend every time we go out with women, he makes the men invite the women (pay for them), for the reason that he thinks that women have more expenses regarding their look than men so we have to compensate by inviting them when it's the matter of going out and paying for example pubs bills.
I am to review my friend theory, can I have your opinion? is he right? or everyone should pay for himself? in case he is not right what kind of argument i can give him?
Thank You

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a Licensed Professional Counselor. Please note, this is not therapy, but information. I do hope I can help you though.

In my culture it has historically been customary for the men to pay for expenses of the date. I am pretty sure this has nothing to do with the expenses of make up and such though. It likely originated with the idea of the man being the primary provider for the family and the woman being primary caregiver, not historically having a job. It goes deeper than that, but that is it in a nutshell. That custom is not as standard in today's times. Women often seek and have careers and are financially capable themselves, so are able to share in the expences. Often, the expences are shared or even at times the woman pays.

That said, unless otherwise stipulated, the one who initiated the date should pay for it. In other words, if you ask her out, you should pay. If she asks you out, she should pay. Keeep in mind, this is all contingent on the culture you are in and the norms of that culture. Regardless, it would seem to me a good time might be worth the cost, one way or the other.

I hope that is helpful.

Thank you!

Fadi,

Hi! I appreciate you allowing me to help you maybe arrive at a solution the other day. I hope I was helpful. Let me know if I can help you in any other way.

John Michaels, MS, LPC