How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Elliott, LPCC, NCC Your Own Question
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Category: Relationship
Satisfied Customers: 7664
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Type Your Relationship Question Here...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband has been diagnosed with a terminal illness of ALS.

Customer Question

My husband has been diagnosed with a terminal illness of ALS. What can I do to give him hope and get him out of this flatlined state of being-not quite depression but not any joy either? The things he has been able to do for enjoyment are slowly slipping
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 5 years ago.
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective

Dear friend,

I am so sorry that this tragedy has visited your home and will cut short your husband's precious life. Naturally, he is feeling down a great deal of the time.

This type of constant, low grade depression if called dysthymia. His doctor might consider an antidepressant with not too many side effects, such as Wellbutrin (bupropion) and a stimulant such as Adderall, which is usually used for treating ADHD, but is sometimes used off label for depression. Your husband may benefit from the boost it gives him.

I wish I could do more, but all I can do is to keep you all in my prayers.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC