Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

Relationship

I have a friend that I looking to move in with that need me

Customer Question
to give this person cash...
I have a friend that I looking to move in with that need me to give this person cash money to secure the place we are looking to live . I have not seen the place but trust the person judgement. I have known the person for over ten years.I have to give this person several hundreds by a certain time to secure the place. This person said that they have already put down several hundreds that I haven't seen the friend do this . Am I going to far out on a limb or should I just trust this person? Any advice might be good advice.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Relationship
12/2/2011
Counselor: Suzanne, Therapist, LCSW replied 6 years ago
Suzanne
Suzanne, Therapist, LCSW

Thank you for bringing your question to Just Answer!

This doesn't sound like a good situation. You haven't even seen the place and you don't know how much money they've really put into the place. If your friend wants your money, then you need to be more fully involved--seeing the place, seeing the lease and how much money is required. They may be trying to get your money to pay all the deposits, etc. without putting in any of their own.

The friend has claim to put in 650 dollars over time for the place to be held for this person. I have not seen the exact apartment I renting but have seen others in the same apartment complex so I know the lay out. I have also had a sublet written up to more also define the term. I have to come up with 350 dollars and my friend told me that I guaranteed to like the place or I will get my money back. Also is going to give me a reci I will have my own room and the friend will have their I will pay 250 per month and the friend will pay 400. The friend name will be on the lease. That's why I having a sublet agreement written up. What ALL do you sugest be in the sublet. If I decide to go with this. The friend claim to have rent for this lady a while back and the lady always did fair with my friend s about any repairs etc.., We are staying in a hotel right now and will have to pay for another week if we go a little pass early next week. The lady said that The landlord would have done painting next week this was told about a 36 hours ago. All of sudden the place is ready.Now to move in by this weekend I need to get the 350 to the lady by 2:00 the latest. Also she isn't going give the key to the friend without the 350. Help me make sense of all this Ifyou will. Sugestion advice etc.., I will pay 250 permonth and the friend will pay 400 of the 650. That's why I will have a sublet agrrement drawn up the friend also guaranteed I will like the place or my money back. The friend get's one room and I will get one room out of the three bedrooms. The friend will also supply most of the furniture. Imight be saying things twice the computer messedup. Ihope you can make sense of my wriiting. Please help make sense of this and sound logic as well respect to the friend. Only suzanne.
Well, if the money is going directly to the landlord, that's much safer than handing it over to your friend. Perhaps when you go to give the money she will let you see the apartment...that would only be fair.

The sublease should spell out that either person can end the sublease with 30 days notice, and that the security deposit must be returned at the end of the 30 days.

Now that you've given more of the details, this sounds like a fairly safe situation. As long as you're sure your friend will be able to come up with their portion of the rent, this sounds like it will be cheaper than living in a hotel.
The money is going to the friend and it's going to the landlord. I have a sublet contract that i'm having signed and a reciept book. Y ou have any more advice you could give me.
ONLY SUZANNE. The money is going to the friend and it's going to the landlord. I have a sublet contract that I'm having signed and a reciept book. Y ou have any more advice you could give me.

I would feel more secure if you were handing the money to the landlord. You want to be sure she knows you're going to be living there too...you don't want to end up in a situation where you have to sneak around. Go with your friend when he goes to hand in the money. That's the only way you have of being absolutely sure of where it's going.

Best of luck in your new place...I hope you really like it!

Suzanne

Suzanne
Suzanne, Therapist, LCSW
I got to see the place liked it. Got my friend to sign the contract and got a reciept for it. The friend didn't come back to the hotel last night because been working on plumbing project for family member for past days. I didn't go with person to hand money in . Should I be worried about anything.
ONLY SUZANNE. I got to see the place liked it. Got my friend to sign the contract and got a reciept for it. The friend didn't come back to the hotel last night because been working on plumbing project for family member for past days. I didn't go with person to hand money in . Should I be worried about anything.

Are you worried because he didn't come back to the hotel after giving him the money?.

Only SUZANNE. Yes. I called the person answered and said he been working on this one piece this was about 11:00 clock last night. I called the person to let them know I was getting sleepy. Since I had the key to the hotel. I dose of at 12:30 last night. This might be I 'm highly stress with Exams comeing up among many things. The person said they was going to call back I feel a sleep but there know message on phone or anything.

There's no way to predict what will happen. I think you took all the right steps in getting this person to sign a contract and a receipt. In a worse-case scenario, you will have all the evidence you need for a court case.

He did at least answer the phone when you called, so it shows he's not avoiding you. He may have fallen asleep after your conversation, since it was so late. Do your best to concentrate on studying for your exams. At this point, there's not a lot else you can do. Hopefully he will show up today and put your fears to rest.

ONLY SUZANNE. I think it also come down to a emotional thing. The friend helped me when I almost became homeless for a period at least made sure I had a place with a roof over my head. The friend didn't provide a place to stay or find a place to stay ,but the friend help secure a place to stay by helping me stand up in a sense. Also when the friend was wrongly fired, I stood with this person through the phase,gave advice to keep the person from danger,listen to the person concern, help the friend fight the adversity that came after it etc.., I'm trying to work on assignment while talking with you. To kind off keep my head right. I don't know I probably need to get some more sleep. Feeling kind off sleeply. Probably need some more rest. What you think about some more sleep and everything else. At this point I probably just talking.

Yes, sleep sounds like a good idea.

When people are over-tired, they don't think very straight. Get some rest, and feel free to ask for me in the future. I'm going to close out this question now.

I wish you all the best,

Suzanne

Thank you I will talk to you later just ask for suzanne right.
ONLY SUZANNE. Thank you I will talk to you later just ask for suzanne right.
ONLY SUZANNE. Thank you I will talk to you later just ask for suzanne right. Also do just answer have links where you can send thinks where nobody else see.Say information you don't want everybody too see.

Yes, you put Only Suzanne as the first two words in your note, and I'll get it.

I'm sorry to say that there are no private channels on Just Answer.

Suzanne
Suzanne, Therapist, LCSW
Only SUZANNE. So Am I 'm right in saying that most likely people who have shared this type of personal relationship. Wouldn't look to do something to put the other in a bad situation. I know you can't give a definite yes. But I just asking from your experience and expertise in your field or from life.
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
ONLY SUZANNE. I don't know I just thought when the friend show up with the key and I was able to look at the place and it was pretty much like the person said I let down my guard. The lights suppose t o be on this monday. I thought it should all be legit. WE looked at during the day when there was some light.
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
Suzanne
Suzanne
Suzanne, Therapist, LCSW