How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Shirley Schaye Your Own Question
Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Category: Relationship
Satisfied Customers: 1673
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
Type Your Relationship Question Here...
Dr. Shirley Schaye is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband tried to hit me today. This is the third violent

Customer Question

My husband tried to hit me today. This is the third violent occurance in the 7 years we have been married. He is finally admitted he needs help to handle his anger. Where do we start? We live in a very rural area.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am very sorry to hear about this. If you live in a very rural area, it will probably be difficult to find a therapist but you could ask an internist to prescribe wellbutrin.
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 5 years ago.

I have had two adult patients who were so very impulsive and had severe anger management problems. One of the men had his doctor put him on Wellbutrin. It helped him enormously. Another time I received a referral to see a couple who were referred to me by their internist because the woman couldn't take it anymore and was ready to break up with her boyfriend. The boyfriend had real impulse control and anger management issues. I remembered what happened with the first patient and so suggested to them to tell his doctor about putting him on wellbutrin. The MD did put him on that. To this day ( this happened years ago), I still get Christmas cards thanking me for saving their relationship. I didn't. The wellbutrin did. I am not a physician, cannot prescribe meds but if I were you I would bring this up with his doctor. See what he/she says.

The other thing besides meds is it might be a good idea to seek out a therapist to get at the root of his rage issues if there is one in your area. It won't just go away. Nor can anyone tell you what it's about without doing a consultation.

If you have other questions, don't hesitate to ask. If I have answered your questions, please click on ACCEPT and leave feedback. Bonuses are always appreciated. You can always ask more questions after you have clicked on Accept.Simply Reply To: Dr. Shirley Schaye