Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

Relationship

I had been with my boyfriend for 8 years (this had started

Customer Question
while i was still married...
I had been with my boyfriend for 8 years (this had started while i was still married but living with my husband as a friend for our daughters sake) I had always told my boyfriend i would leave home and move in with him when my daughter was 16. 2 months before she turned 16 he broke up with me as he said he no longer felt the same. Over time however he has told me that it was to do with the fact he wanted a normal relationship and couldn't cope with the pain anymore. he says he still loves me. Since the break up 6 months ago he has called me everyday and texted(often several times) we go to the pictures, still go to parties together etc. we had not had a physical relationship at all for 6 months until 2 weeks ago. After we had sex he wanted to cuddle and spend all day on the sofa etc. I am not sure how best to progress as I very much want to be with him. When talking the other day about things he said we should just not over think things. when i talked to him about wanting to re marry and have a baby he said well the first thing you need to do is get an actual divorce. I am not sure if that was a hint or him telling me not to make the same mistake with someone else. I am very unhappy and really need some advice. We never argue, we are best friends, we have the same aspirations, we laugh together, are very sexually attracted to each other.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Relationship
Answered in 1 day by:
12/3/2010
Counselor: Cathy, Counselor replied 6 years ago
Cathy
Cathy, Counselor

Hi Tilly and thanks for writing to JA

I am sorry to hear about your situation. That said, I have seen the same exact scenario many times over. As soon as the time approached when you were willing to make a significant change in your status as goes your relationship with your lover, he got cold feet and backed off your agreement. This is quite common indeed especially in long term arrangements such as yours.

You see in some ways your lover has had the best of both worlds. You were there for him for the "fun" parts of an intimate relationship and yet not the "messy" parts that we all commit to when we engage in a more committed relationship. Were this dynamic to change there would be more demands on him to engage with you in matters that are not as easy and enjoyable as that you have shared over the past eight years.

Without knowing you both and knowing much more detail about you, your marriage and your lover and his life it would be impossible for any of us here to advise you in any appropriate way. Since you are considering making such a drastic change in your life have you considered seeing a therapist for some brief treatment to help on this?

Let me know what you think and how I can best help you further on this?

Warm regards

Cathy

The problem in our case seems to have been the opposite, he has always begged me to leave and if anything it was me who was getting the best of both worlds. He wants children etc and said he just couldn't take the pain anymore. He said he felt like the dirty little secret and i was never going to leave my husband
(I was but only in the time scale i had given). We broke up just before his brothers wedding which was abroad and clashed with my daughters birthday so I wouldn't go with him. As I said we have seen each other almost every weekend and spoken everyday since and sex was not part of that, when that finally happened it was me who pushed for it.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Cathy
Cathy
Cathy, Counselor