Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

Hi, I am 26 and to be honest have been re-shaping my life for…

Customer Question
Hi, I am 26 and...
Hi, I am 26 and to be honest have been re-shaping my life for a long time. I went through a tough stage 18-20 where I did silly things - nothing too major, but silly, subsequently this alienated me from decent people, it is only now that I find myself around some decent people. Anyways, my question is, I want to learn how to be a good friend to someone and what to expect from people who I deem to be my friends. I am a fairly introverted sort of person in some respects and I like my space, yet of course I like friendships, I do however find it hard to hold on to any decent friendships and am constantly disappointed by the people I meet and hope to be friends with. I know that I have high standards and that can sometimes be a problem, however on the flip side I like to think I am fairly flexible in my approach to friendships, I constantly try to find the good in people its just sometimes I get so bored with people that I just give up being their friends. For example, I like say person x, but unfortunately they drink like alcoholics (no exaggeration) and constantly talk behind peoples backs and gossip, I find it extremely frustrating, anyways, my question is: how or where can I learn how to be a good friend and what to expect of my friends, without being too picky. I am reader so any books or websites you could recommend would be much appreciated. Regards.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Relationship
10/7/2010
Counselor: Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist replied 7 years ago
Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist
http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/1439167346/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1286410749&sr=1-10

The above link to Amazon is the classic book of all time on this subject. I will be back with others.
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.