Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Counselor
Experience:  PHD LPC
14832673

My ex gf of 2 years rencently contacted me by poking me on

My ex girlfriend rencently contacted me by poking me on facebook.. we were together for 2 yrs and 6month.. we;ve been apart for about 2 yrs.. I sent her an email as i was quite curious as to why she poked me seeing as we havent spoken for over 2 yrs .. She said she just wanted to see how i was doing. I was curious as to why she contacted me and found out shes broken up with her bf. but she hasnt told me about it. The thing is I have a really soft spot for this girl.. am worried she might be trying to use me to get over her hard time. As shes done it before. I dont want to get hurt and also dont want to be nasty to her.. To be honest if it was possible i still want her back.. I really dont know what to do.. We been exchanging emails for the last two days on facebook and she mention shes made some big mistakes in the past and she wasnt happy with the way her life is atm.. I dont want to be caught up again. shes asked me about my plans for the future.. I told her am going to a different country next year.. Dont know if it was a mistake telling her that.. I still have feeling for her and would love the chance to have another go with her relationship.. how should i approach things...
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 7 years ago.
Hi and welcome,
You may be correct in thinking that she is trying to get over her latest break-up. Or, she may just be reaching out to you as a old friend, you were together for two years so you do have a history. If you are interested in her the best way to approach it would be slowly, keep corresponding with her and talk honestly including your past history, the good times. You'll find out in due time how she feels about you. If you have no expectations about where this might go you will find it easier to explore the chance to have another go at making it work. It wasn't a mistake telling her your plans, honesty is important and why would you think you made a mistake? Your plans are your plans and they can always change. Keep the lines of communication open and honest, go slow, don't rush in and tell her how you feel. She is still in the process of getting over this last relationship and it may be too much or the wrong thing right now.
Please click accept and leave feedback.

Edited by Dr. Keane on 7/8/2010 at 3:40 PM EST